The United Nations Deacade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development (Ocean Decade) has launched a new Call for Decade Actions No. 03/2022 for programmes that contribute to Ocean Decade Challenge 3 – Sustainable Blue Food and/or Challenge 4 – Sustainable Ocean Economy.
Coinciding with the International Year of Artisanal Fisheries and Aquaculture, the scope of the new Call for Decade Actions No. 03/2022 for Decade Programs is Challenge 3 – Sustainable Blue Food and Challenge 4 – Sustainable Ocean Economy.
The Call for Decade Action No. 03/2022 seeks to target Projects focused on Africa and Pacific Small Island Developing States (SIDS). To date, the Ocean Decade has worked hard to mobilize resources around the world, but these regions continue to be underfunded compared to regions such as Europe and North America.
This Call for Decade Actions, which is the third of a series that will be launched every 6 months as part of the Ocean Decade, focuses specifically on:
- Ocean Decade Programs: Decade Challenge 3 – Sustainable Blue Food and/or Challenge 4 – Sustainable Ocean Economy. This includes regional programs with a focus on one or more of these Challenges. Programs that contribute primarily to other Ocean Decade Challenges can complete an Expression of Interest form to allow guidance to be provided on their suitability for the current Call for Decade Actions.
- Ocean Decade Projects : At the project level the Call is soliciting initiatives that respond to one of the following:
- Potentially forming part of one of the 17 endorsed Decade Programs participating in the Call for Decade Actions.
- Ocean Decade Contributions: of in-kind or financial resources to support Ocean Decade coordination or Action costs. This Call is specifically focusing on Decade Contributions to support Decade Actions and Coordination in Pacific Small Island Developing States and Africa. Detailed information on different support mechanisms, as well as the resource needs of existing endorsed Decade Actions can be obtained by contacting the Decade Coordination Unit. There is no deadline for the submission of contributions as part of this Call.
The thematic focus of the Call for Decade Actions No. 03/2022 is on programs that contribute to the achievement of one or more of the following Ocean Decade Challenges:
- Challenge 3 – Sustainably feed the global population: Generate knowledge, support innovation, and develop solutions to optimize the role of the ocean in sustainably feeding the world’s population under changing environmental, social and climate conditions.
- Challenge 4 – Develop a sustainable and equitable ocean economy: Generate knowledge, support innovation, and develop solutions for equitable and sustainable development of the ocean economy under changing environmental, social and climate conditions.
The two Ocean Decade Challenges that have been identified as part of the current Call have a strong interrelation. The term ‘sustainable ocean economy’ has numerous facets across different sectors, including elements related to energy, fisheries and aquaculture, shipping, tourism etc., as well as the tools such sustainable ocean planning or marine spatial planning that contribute to sustainable economic development, use and conservation of marine resources.
There is no geographical limitation for Decade programs submitted to the Call. However, all applicants will be required to demonstrate how they meaningfully involve partners from Africa or in Small Island Developing States, Least Developed Countries including Land-Locked Developing Countries.
- There is no restriction on the type of institution that can apply for endorsement under this Call.
- Proponents are reminded of the endorsement criteria of the Decade related to the strengthening of existing or creation of new partnerships across nations and/or between diverse ocean actors, including users of ocean science, as well as the criteria for co -design and co-delivery of Decade Actions.
- Requests can be for either new or ongoing initiatives; proponents of ongoing initiatives will need to clearly demonstrate how their proposed Decade Action moves beyond ‘business-asusual’ for example by demonstrating how the initiative will evolve to address the transformative nature of the Decade.
- 30 May 2022 23.59h CET: Submission of Expression of Interest for programmes that do not primarily contribute to Challenges 3 or 4.
- 30 August 2022 23.59h CET: Submission of full applications for all Decade programmes and projects.
For more information, visit https://www.oceandecade.org/news/ocean-decade-launches-new-call-for-decade-actions-no-03-2022/