Deadline: 1 May 2019
Applications are open for Austrian Fulbright Student Program 2020-21 to provide financial support for Austrian citizens who want to pursue a master’s degree in the United States.
Fulbright Austria funds one- and multi-year programs. Following its mandate to promote “mutual understanding between the peoples of Austria and the United States of America,” Fulbright Austria is particularly interested in applicants whose personality, interests, and career plans will contribute to the advancement of intercultural understanding.
- Tuition and maintenance grant of up to $25,000 for one-year programs or up to $35,000 for multi-year programs.
- Lump-sum travel grant of up to €1,500.
- Enrollement in the Department of State’s Accident and Sickness Program for Exchanges (ASPE).
- Negotiation of (partial) tuition waivers or additional financial support conducted with the relevant US institution by IIE.
- Coaching and administrative support during the application phase, which increases the probability of acceptance to a US institution.
- Vouchers for GRE and TOEFL examinations after admission to the Fulbright Program.
- Application submission to four US institutions as a “Fulbright candidate” and coverage of associated application fees by IIE.
- Visa sponsorship: J1-visa (exchange visitor) requires grantees to return to their home country for at least two years after the completion of their studies before they can apply for a residence or work permit (they can, however, re-enter on a tourist or student visa at any time).
- Pre-academic training in the US (occasionally) and/or participation in “enrichment seminars” in the course of one’s stay.
- Austrian citizenship (dual citizens of Austria and the US are not eligible due to program regulations).
- Candidates must already have a degree from an accredited university or university of applied sciences or be close to completing their degree.
- Bachelor’s programs: degree must be completed by October 1, 2019, at the latest (degrees completed by October 30, 2019, will be considered on a case-by-case basis).
- Master’s programs: degree must be completed by May 1, 2020, at the latest.
- The Austrian Fulbright Student Program funds master’s programs at all accredited US institutions. So-called “professional degrees” cannot be funded. This includes, for instance:
- MBAs and similar programs in business, management, marketing, and finance (with the exception of not-for-profit management and social entrepreneurship, public management and administration, public affairs, and/or public policy (MPA/MPP).
- LLM programs (with the exception of constitutional law, human rights law, international public law, legal theory and philosophy, comparative law, and/or legal history).
- Medical programs, veterinarian medicine, and/or pharmacy (with the exception of public health).
- Funding cannot be awarded for study programs to which candidates have already been admitted or for which they have already applied outside of the Fulbright Program.
- Candidates who meet the qualifications to apply for the Austrian Fulbright Scholar Program (postdocs and professionals) cannot apply for an Austrian Fulbright student grant.
- Candidates who have already received a Fulbright student grant, a postgraduate grant from the Austrian Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research (with the exception of internships), or a grant from the Austrian Science Fund (FWF) or the Austrian Academy of Sciences (ÖAW) are also not eligible to apply.
- It is also not possible to receive funding through Fulbright if they also receive a grant from any of the institutions noted above.
- As Fulbright students are funded through the Austrian Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research (BMBWF), Fulbright grantees are not eligible to apply for other grants offered by the BMBWF.
- Nominations for a Fulbright grant are contingent upon approval from the J. William Fulbright Scholarship Board (FSB). According to the FSB’s rules and regulations, candidates who are already in the US at the time of their application are not eligible to apply. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to candidates who do not have extensive and/or recent experience living and studying in the US.
How to Apply
Applicants can apply via given website.
Eligible Country: Austria
For more information, please visit https://www.fulbright.at/going-to-the-usa/students/program/austrian-fulbright-student-program/