Under the overall authority of the Director of the UNESCO Asia and Pacific Regional Bureau for Education (UNESCO Bangkok), and the supervision of Chief of Section for Inclusive Quality Education (IQE), the consultant will undertake the regional research study, including four in-depth case studies from the Asia-Pacific region (India, Indonesia, Tuvalu and Viet Nam) and a regional synthesis report.
The core responsibilities of the consultant include to:
- Undertake research of the four countries in the Asia-Pacific region identified by UNESCO (India, Indonesia, Tuvalu and Viet Nam), and develop four country case study reports.
- Produce a regional synthesis report, based on the four country case studies, and one country case study on Bangladesh.
- Participate in regular interactive meetings organised by UNESCO to monitor the progress based on an agreed timeframe, identify jointly with UNESCO pending issues, and provide updates on the assigned deliverables.
- Identify the characteristics and profiles of climate displaced persons;
- Identify barriers or, if they exist advantages, to education for climate displaced persons;
- Investigate whether national policies, strategies, actions or measures already exist for climate displaced persons in the field of education;
- Develop policy recommendations to enhance the quality and inclusiveness of national education systems and to optimize education opportunities for climate displaced persons.
The researcher should devise the research methodology to undertake the case studies on climate-change displacement and right to education prepared by UNESCO HQs, and regional synthesis in order to:
- Present a diverse range of displacement scenarios, including internal displacement, international migration, displacement due to slow onset or rapid onset weather events, permanent and temporary displacement, communities in the process of planned relocation and trapped populations;
- Consider education from a holistic, lifelong perspective, including at the early childhood stage;
- Draw conclusions about the impact that climate displacement may be having on education;
- Draft of a regional synthesis report, which to draw a conclusion from case studies and, from the conclusions, provide concrete and practical policy recommendations that the Member States could implement;
- Analyze regional trends, sub-regional differences, and suggest feasible measures for regional coordination following the results analysis.
Duration: 7 months, from 1 May to 30 November 2021 tentatively
The consultancy is open to suitably qualified institutions/organizations.
- Officially registered entity with a valid registration.
- Relevant experience in the themes such as right to education, migration, climate change, disaster risk reduction.
- Strong network of partners, especially in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Publications or co-authorship of knowledge products.
- Qualifications of Senior Expert/ Team Leader
- Advanced academic degree in the related field (preferably education; human rights; international development; sociology, etc.).
- Proven experience in designing research methodology and tools, and synthesizing material of a technical or scientific nature.
- Excellent skills on writing for academic publications and other professional written work, including for a general audience.
- Qualifications of team member
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in the related fields.
- Strong skills in research methods for qualitative and quantitative data and data analysis.
- Excellent analytical, writing and communication skills in the English language
- Desirable for institutions and individuals:
- Familiarity with key concepts and topics in quality inclusive education (notably, gender equality, preventing stigma and discrimination/ supporting inclusion and diversity.
- Previous experience working with the UN/multilateral/bilateral institutions.
- Competency in languages (other than English) in the Asia and Pacific region.
- Previous work experience in Asia and the Pacific and an understanding of the social and political sensitivities.
For more information, visit https://bangkok.unesco.org/content/call-proposal-institutionorganization