The NIB Trust Fund is now accepting applications from individuals for the 2021-2022 year.
- Programs which promote the preservation, reclamation, development or understanding of First Nations or Métis history, cultures, or languages
- Cultural education (traditional teachings, workshops, ceremony, etc.)
- Healing programming
- Post-Secondary Education
- Professional Development and Job Skill Training
- Capacity Building Workshops
- And more!
- Scholarship (Post-Secondary) – Scholarships are money awards you receive for post-secondary education studies (i.e. University and College level studies).
- Bursary (Training/Certification) – Bursaries are money awards you receive for certificate programs and training from non-post-secondary institutions (i.e. Nechi Institute, AFOA, or other non-post-secondary institution).
- Award (Healing, Cultural/ Language/ Traditional Knowledge Building) – Awards are set dollar amounts for individuals who wish to pursue healing, cultural, language or traditional knowledge building. This could include life skills programs, learning a language or skill from an elder or expert, learning traditional ceremonies, or acquiring land-based skills, etc.
- Currently, individuals can apply for a maximum of up to $20,000. However, in the 2020-2021 Individual call, the average amount awarded to a successful individual was $4,750.00.
Eligible activities include but are not limited to:
- Universities, colleges, cegep;
- Trade or training schools;
- Technical training for career advancement;
- Programs which promote the preservation, reclamation, development or understanding of First Nations or Métis history, cultures or languages;
- Cultural education-traditional, ceremony knowledge building;
- Strengthen education and employment training; or
- Foster community and personal development, including access to counseling and other programs to heal communities from harms caused by the Indian Residential Schools.
- The Individual Call for Applications is open to First Nations and Métis people ages 18 and over with a social insurance number.
- Individuals may apply for funding in the form of a scholarship, bursary, or award from the NIB Trust Fund through the online application accessible at nibtrust.ca.
For more information, visit https://www.nibtrust.ca/news/nib-trust-fund-announces-2021-2022-call-for-applications-from-individuals-is-now-open