The Action For Nature (AFN), a non-profit organization has launched the International Young Eco-Hero Awards to recognize and reward the successful individual environmental initiatives of young people ages 8 to 16.
AFN encourages young people around the world to carry out individual environmental action projects. They believe that young people can have a positive impact on the environment and are vital in changing the way live on our planet. Winners are selected by a team of independent judges with experience in environmental issues.
Winners will receive:
- Public recognition and media press release;
- Cash prize up to $500;
- Certificate of achievement for outstanding efforts to help protect and preserve the environment;
- Exclusive access to our eco-hero alumni Facebook group;
- Just as importantly, winners will serve as role models for other young people by demonstrating that each individual can make a difference.
- The project concerns environmental health, advocacy, research or protection of the natural world.
- The project is action-based and self-initiated, and not one assigned by a teacher or other adult.
- The project is close to completion or was completed within the last year.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 8 and 16 on February 28th in the year of application.
- Science Fair and Scouting Badge projects will only be considered if they include environmental action, educational outreach to others or extended studies beyond the Science Fair and Scouting Badges.
- The AFN does not accept (a) projects related to domestic or confined animals, (b) compositions or reports.
- Previous winners, immediate relatives of AFN board members, active reading panel members, or judges, may not apply.
- Only applications in English are accepted.
- Preference is given to projects of 2+ years and/or ongoing projects.
- The applications will be judged according to several criteria, including but not limited to:
- Length of time devoted to the project;
- Influencing/educating others;
- Use of outside resources (e.g. library, experts, media, community leaders);
- Degree of success in reaching goals;
- The impact on the environment.
For more information, visit https://actionfornature.org/eco-hero-awards/apply