The GET.invest Finance Catalyst links renewable energy projects and companies with finance opportunities and vice versa, targeting small- and medium-scale renewable energy opportunities, currently in sub-Saharan Africa and the Caribbean.
It provides advisory support on investment strategy, business case structuring, as well as accessing finance through a team of dedicated experts with extensive experience in renewable energy project development and finance.
Many of these projects and companies are challenging for financiers to engage in due to their relatively small ticket size and due to the financiers’ limited experience with these technologies and new business models. Project and business developers may lack the experience, networks or time to identify appropriate sources of finance, resulting in high transaction costs and few projects reaching financial close.
The Finance Catalyst team works with project developers and companies to mobilise finance and investment. They connect selected applicants to development finance institutions (DFIs), impact investors and commercial financiers by providing in-kind advisory (but no direct financial support).
- Investment strategy geared at applicants at a relatively early stage, but with concrete financing prospects, and providing guidance on the necessary steps of project and business development in order to ensure completeness and quality.
- Structuring support advising on essential aspects of business case and financing models, and supporting developers towards structuring their propositions in a way that corresponds to the needs and expectations of financiers.
- Access to finance support to identify appropriate financing options and to align documentation with the specific requirements of financing and support instruments.
- Transaction support to provide assistance in the contractual negotiations during project preparation and business development, for instance covering aspects of the financing transaction, term sheets, contractual agreements with specialised advisory, or the fulfilment of conditions precedent.
- Only projects and businesses with a cumulative generation capacity between 0.5-50 MW or aggregated investments in the range of €250,000 to €70 million are eligible.
- Applicants must be situated in sub-Saharan Africa or in the Caribbean.
- Supported models may comprise electricity generation, electricity distribution (in the case of mini-grids and stand-alone systems), mechanical energy and industrial / process heat or cooling, as well as clean cooking. Transmission projects or biofuels are not eligible.
- Eligible applicants may be private sector developers (local and international), NGOs, universities or research institutions. Preference is given to projects with a significant private sector representation.
- The major part of the scope must be a renewable energy system investment. Hybrid systems with a reasonable share of renewable generation capacity are also eligible.
- Proposals must be conceptualised as revenue generating and meet a minimum economic viability and sustainability threshold.
For more information, visit https://www.get-invest.eu/finance-catalyst/