The Digital Future Society (DFS) Lab seeks technological solutions to measure and reduce the environmental footprint of companies in the technology sector, to implement a pilot project in the city of Barcelona.
This challenge seeks technological solutions to measure and reduce the environmental footprint of companies in the technology sector, both public and private (especially SMEs and startups), considering the phases of the life cycle of the products and services they offer (design, extraction of resources and use of raw materials, manufacturing, distribution, use and final disposal), or the existing and / or future ICT infrastructure.
Solutions must be technological (software and / or hardware), although they may be combined with consulting, strategic advisory and knowledge management activities. Solutions must be tested (from Technology Readiness Level 6 or higher) and their implementation must be technically feasible in less than 12 months. It will be positively valued that the solutions are scalable and that they are future-proof, that is, that they foresee immediate futures in terms of technological changes or trends and their respective regulatory frameworks.
Two prizes will be given that each winner will use to implement a pilot project in the city of Barcelona.
The solutions may focus, among others, on aspects such as:
- Measure, report and reduce the environmental footprint (including the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions) of technological and / or ICT infrastructure products and services: 1) end devices, 2) information and data access and distribution networks, 3) data centers and business networks.
- Reduce the generation of e-waste, promote the circularity of technological products, identify traceability, extend their useful life, for example, with a life cycle approach, and / or facilitate its reuse, repair, renovation, remanufacturing and recycling.
- Improve energy efficiency, promote the use of renewable energy and incorporate sustainability criteria in the use and management of storage centers in data and / or in fixed and mobile data networks.
- Optimize data consumption and transmission (for example, in the field of video streaming solutions, video games, media and entertainment, etc.) and the performance of software and hardware applications (for example, the use of green coding, also called clean coding, and refactoring).
The winning proposal will receive financial support that will be valued in each case separately. However, the winning proposal must contribute at least 20% of the total project budget. The financial support will only be available for those activities and aspects directly related to the implementation of the pilot and no expense may be included in personnel, travel or subsistence.
- Proposals from local, national and international entities are accepted, without restrictions of geographic sense or size of entity.
- Proposals can be made in English, Catalan or Spanish.
For more information, visit https://digitalfuturesociety.com/tech-climate/