Nominations are now open for the Islamic Green City Excellence Award to encourage and stimulate interest in joint environmental action in the Islamic world and openness to global experiences in the protection of the environment from an Islamic perspective, while working towards preserving its resources and addressing sustainable development issues in general, through recognizing the merits of the efforts of individuals and institutions concerned with the management of natural resources for the benefit of present and future generations alike.
The Award is dedicated to outstanding works carried out by individuals and public as well as private institutions and organizations operating in the various fields of the environment and sustainable development, in recognition of their substantial contributions to reconciling the environment and socio-economic development through a holistic and integrated approach that advances the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals, in line with the Islamic principles calling for the sustainability of the world’s resources to fulfill Man’s needs, prosperity and lieutenancy on earth.
The Award is also aimed at consolidating and adopting the broad concept of environmental management in the Islamic world, which calls for making good use of natural resources and protecting them from depletion and pollution, through instituting and disseminating the principles and methods of sound environmental governance in public, private and non-governmental development sector institutions and organizations in the Islamic world.
The selection of the candidate city for the Islamic Green City Excellence Award is assessed on the basis of specific criteria covering the following major areas:
- Clean, Sustainable and Smart Transport;
- Green and Smart Buildings;
- Sustainable Energy Use and Conservation;
- Water and Wastewater Management and Recycling;
- Waste Management and Recycling;
- Sustainable Land Management and Urban Forestry;
- Ambient Air Quality and Acoustic Environment;
- Nature and Biodiversity Preservation;
- Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation.
The Award of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for Environmental Management in the Islamic World covers four categories:
- Best individual or collective research, achievement or practice in the environment and sustainable development, particularly those addressing specific environmental issues of concern to or may potentially benefit the Muslim world.
- Best leading practices or activities in the environment and sustainable development in non-governmental organizations that can be replicated in the Member States.
- Best Women’s leading activities in environmental action. This branch allocates to women three awards in the basic areas of environmental management:
- Best environmentally-friendly Islamic city that meets the conditions and commitments to achieve environmental, social and economic sustainability.
- Criteria for the best practice in environment and sustainable development projects or activities in the public sector in the Member States
- The importance of the subject or achievement regarding the environment and sustainable development.
- The scientific findings and the possibility to build on them in the field of the environment and sustainable development in the Member States or beyond.
- Criteria for the best leading practices or activities in the environment and sustainable development in non-governmental organizations that can be replicated in the Member States
- It should have a clear impact on the environment and sustainable development in their various fields both in terms of protection of natural resources from depletion and pollution and in terms of bringing about the desired impact on the health, economic, social and cultural environment.
- It should nurture the sense of entrepreneurship and volunteering in citizens.
- It should have an impact on the local administration and decision-making and help foster environmental and developmental partnership in the local community.
- Criteria for Women’s leading activities in environmental action
- It should be related to women’s work and activities in protecting the environment and managing the environmental sector in its various forms, whether in scientific research, civil society in environmental education and fieldwork for NGOs, or in private or government sector institutions.
- It should show women’s performance in environmental action as successful best practice to disseminate in institutions, associations and personal experiences.
- This branch allocates to women three awards in the basic areas of environmental management:
- Award for Women in Research, Achievements and Successful Practices;
- The Women’s Award in Public Benefit Associations and NGOs;
- Women’s Leadership Award in private or government sector institutions;
For more information, visit https://www.ksaaem.org/