Nominations are now open for the 2021 Start Up Energy Transition (SET) Award, it is an international competition for start-ups and young companies worldwide who are working on ideas affecting global energy transition and climate change.
In just three years, the award has received roughly 1300 applications from 88 countries. For 2020, they surpassed all goals and received 570 applications from 90 countries.
- Clean Energy Generation: They are looking for start-ups who are developing clean energy generation solutions that could help to decarbonize their most energy-intensive sectors, as well as on those accelerating the adoption of new solutions through capacity building.
- Demand-side Innovation: They are searching for smart devices, applications, materials, substitutes and behaviour-changing innovations that help promote and improve energy use.
- Energy Distribution and Storage: This category calls for tech-savvy start-ups working on distribution and climate-neutral storage solutions for a micro, mini, local or system wide application.
- Smart Mobility & Transportation: While decarbonizing the transport sector is no easy task – there is no shortage of real and effective solutions. More and more cities are implementing policies that aim at reducing pollution and GHG-emissions, meaning that the era of smart mobility and transportation is not far off. The uptake of electric vehicles, innovative sharing platforms, and the advancement of alternative modes of transport will all help mobility become more accessible and affordable, while also reducing the impact on the environment and climate. Creative approaches to infrastructure, public planning, logistics, user behaviours, shipping and freight services, vehicles and other modes of transport are key to a well-functioning & sustainable mobility sector of tomorrow and other modes of transport are key to a well-functioning & sustainable mobility sector of tomorrow.
- Quality Energy Access: They are looking for diverse solutions for technology, financing, awareness & capacity building, that can reach far and wide, have a very clear social drive and most of all, will make a large impact.
- The winner of each category will receive a maximum cash prize of 10,000 euros.
- If more than one applicant receives the highest number of points in a single category, the prize money will be divided evenly.
- The prize money for special prizes such as Quality Energy Access may deviate from the aforementioned prize money.
- Intimate meet-and-greet with the Jury.
- Flights & accommodation to Berlin.
- Pitch coaching by industry corporate.
- Access to exclusive partner events globally.
- Finalist pitches at SET Tech Festival .
- National and international companies that contribute to the success of the energy transition with their products can apply for the ‘Start Up Energy Transition Award’ (‘SET Award’).
- The company must have been founded no more than 10 years beforehand. The object of the application must be an already implemented project, manufactured product, or existing prototype. It is not possible to apply with just an idea for which no concrete steps have been taken. The founding of a company and the development of a business plan are not sufficient in and of themselves.
- Participation in other start-up initiatives or competitions is possible.
- The start-up must not have been founded longer than ten years ago. In other words, the date of foundation cannot exceed 2010.
- The application, including any attached documents, must be in English.
- The start-up must be able to present a functioning prototype. In addition, the company must be registered or be in the process of becoming registered and the applicant must be able to present a proof of concept or a client, and/or an industrial/corporate/institutional partner.
- The applicant must fill out the entire form. Partially completed applications will not be accepted.
For more information, visit https://www.startup-energy-transition.com/set-award/