Are you working on game-changing solutions for a sustainable blue economy? Apply to be an Ocean Changemaker and showcase your ideas on a global stage – supported by Destination Canada.
They need innovative, passionate leaders to foster a sustainable blue economy and ensure a healthy future for the seas. Economist Impact’s World Ocean Initiative—with support from Destination Canada—is excited to host the third annual Ocean Changemakers Challenge, a competition showcasing leading changemakers working to develop business solutions to ocean-related sustainability challenges. It is aimed at early-career researchers or professionals.
Three finalists will be invited to present their business idea and vision for a blue economy during a special ocean changemakers session at the World Ocean Tech and Innovation Summit in Halifax, Canada, in October 2022. By “blue economy” they mean a sustainable ocean economy that harnesses marine ocean resources for long-term economic development and social prosperity while protecting the environment in perpetuity. This year’s challenge is supported by Destination
The judges will select three winning applicants, each of whom will receive:
- Travel and accommodation, in order to attend the World Ocean Tech and Innovation Summit in Halifax, Canada, in October 2022.
- An opportunity to present the innovation to the World Ocean Tech and Innovation Summit audience during a dedicated session.
- A dedicated “pod” where they can introduce and showcase their innovation to the World Ocean Tech and Innovation attendees.
- Mentoring from a high-profile ocean mentor, who will work with them over a 12-month period to help refine their ideas and shape their leadership skills.
- Researchers, early-career professionals, entrepreneurs and innovators with solutions to tackle some of the ocean’s greatest challenges, including for example marine pollution, overfishing and overexploitation of marine resources, unsustainable aquaculture, marine engineering and oil drilling, and destruction of ocean habitats.
- Individuals who have been recognized by local communities but not yet by the international ocean community.
- Individuals who are driving change locally and have innovative solutions they could learn from to scale ocean solutions rapidly.
- They are looking for anyone who is working towards innovative, viable, scalable and investable ideas with a positive impact on the blue economy. If you think your project could benefit from the mentorship programme.
For more information, visit https://ocean.economist.com/events/ocean-changemakers-challenge