The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) is seeking nominations for the 2021 UN Global Climate Action Awards.
Spearheaded by UN Climate Change’s Momentum for a Change initiative, the UN Global Climate Action Awards shine a light on the most innovative, scalable, and replicable examples of what people around the world are doing to tackle climate change.
The following three areas of focus:
- Climate Neutral Now, recognizing efforts by individuals, companies and governments that are achieving real results in transitioning to climate neutrality.
- Financing for Climate Friendly Investment, recognizing successful financial innovations for climate change adaption and mitigation.
- Climate Leaders, recognizing transformational efforts by governments at all levels (national, provincial, state, city, town) that are moving the needle on climate change.
Award winners receive the following benefits package:
- Engagement with policymakers
- Recognition by the UN Climate Change secretariat;
- Funded attendance to UN Climate Change Conference (apart from winners under the Financing for Climate Friendly investment category, which need to be self-funded to attend the Conference);
- Opportunities to present work to policymakers during the UN Climate Change Conference.
- Public relations support
- Concentrated media engagement effort prior to and during the UN Climate Change Conferences, including placement of opinion pieces and earned media;
- The on-going digital campaign, including social media, email marketing, and promotion on UN Climate Change website. Marketing support Promotional videos; Dedicated webpage on the UN Climate Change website; Interactive annual reports; Professional photography.
- Selected activities under each area of focus will be showcased at a series of special events during the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Glasgow, Scotland (COP 26) in November 2021.
- Additionally, winning activities will be highlighted through various media channels, providing a unique chance to gain international visibility and recognition.
- Organizations, communities, cities, businesses, universities, governments, and others that are taking concrete action on climate change can apply to have their projects recognized by the UN Climate Change secretariat as a 2021 winning activity.
- In order to meet the basic eligibility criteria, the activity must:
- Address climate change mitigation or adaptation;
- Be already implemented, or in the course of implementation;
- Be scalable and/or replicable with potential for long-term impact;
- Be innovative and/or demonstrate the potential for long-term transformational change;
- Deliver verifiable social and environmental benefits;
- Not be registered or have intentions to register as a clean development mechanism (CDM) or joint implementation (JI) initiative in the next two years.
- Through a rigorous evaluation process, their Advisory Panel will select a small number of activities from the total pool of submissions.
- Winning activities are shining examples of successful mitigation and adaptation actions that serve to inspire and increase momentum for further action on climate change.
- Winning activities are chosen on the basis of predefined selection criteria which, in addition to specific thematic criteria, emphasize innovative partnerships as a way to achieve long-lasting, transformational change. Winning activities must also be replicable and scalable.
For more information, visit https://momentum.unfccc.int/