Nominations are now open for the 2022 Volvo Environment Prize to reward outstanding scientific discoveries or innovations broadly falling within the environmental sphere.
There are many outstanding biologists and environmental scientists among the laureates but the scope of the award is wide. The idea is USD and innovations that in broad terms fall within the environmental and sustainability field. So previous laureates also include economists, urban development experts, energy specialists, poverty adversaries and many others who are exploring the path to sustainability.
Since the first award in 1990 the Volvo Environment Prize has become one of the scientific world’s most respected environmental prizes. Laureates represent all fields of environmental and sustainability studies and initiatives.
The Prize is awarded by an independent foundation. A Scientific Committee does the initial screening and evaluation of candidates. Internationally renowned scientists in the Prize Jury make the final selection of prize laureate.
- The Prize is awarded annually and consists of a hand-crafted diploma, a glass sculpture and a cash award of SEK 1.5 million (approximately EUR 150,000 or USD 160,000). The award ceremony is held in Stockholm in November each year.
- A Scientific Committee reviews the nominations and presents a report to the international Prize Jury. The Jury recommends one or several winners to the Board of the Volvo Environment Prize Foundation, which then makes the formal decision. The decision is made public in October and the prize is awarded in November each year at a ceremony held in Stockholm, Sweden.
Nominations must include the following:
- A short letter of motivation.
- A detailed description of the research the nominee has conducted and how it adds to their knowledge of environmental science. Main achievements and their importance should be emphasized. Emphasis must also be placed on the impacts of the research outside of the particular discipline e.g. impacts on policy development, impacts on sustainability, and/or contribution to changed behavior.
- CV of the nominee + list of published paper/s and links if available.
- Letter/s of reference. Maximum 3 letters written by someone other than the nominator.
- Nominations should be submitted in English.
- When submitting nominations for a group of named individuals please send one nomination for each person (maximum 3 persons) and specify in the description of achievements that the nomination is for a shared prize.
- A nomination remains valid for three years.
- Please note that self-nominations are not accepted.
For more information, visit https://www.environment-prize.com/the-prize/nominate/