The Union of BC Municipalities (UBCM) is seeking applications for its Indigenous Cultural Safety and Cultural Humility Training Program 2022 to support eligible applicants to enhance cultural safety and humility in the delivery of local emergency management programs and services.
Activities include cultural safety and humility training, adapting emergency management tools to be inclusive of Indigenous peoples, and activities related to partnering with, or providing assistance to, Indigenous communities during emergency mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery.
This includes increasing opportunities to educate emergency management personnel, those training to become emergency management professionals, and others working in the emergency management system on the history of Indigenous Peoples, as well as the concepts of cultural safety, cultural humility and the relevance to Indigenous Peoples.
Training could include:
- The history and legacy of residential schools
- The United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, Treaties and Aboriginal rights, Indigenous law and Crown-Indigenous relations
- Skills-based training in intercultural competency, conflict resolution, human rights, and antiracism
The Indigenous Cultural Safety & Cultural Humility Training funding stream can contribute a maximum of 100% of the cost of eligible activities to a maximum of $30,000.00.
- In order to qualify for funding, applications must demonstrate the extent to which proposed project(s) will provide emergency management personnel with Indigenous cultural safety and cultural humility training.
- In addition, to qualify for funding, projects must be:
- All local governments (municipalities or regional districts) and all First Nations (bands and Treaty First Nations) in BC are eligible to apply.
- Eligible applicants can submit one application per intake, including regional applications or participation as a partnering applicant in a regional application.
For more information, visit UBCM.
For more information, visit https://www.ubcm.ca/cepf/indigenous-cultural-safety-and-cultural-humility-training