The Asian Network for Free Elections (ANFREL) is offering a series of intensive training sessions on reporting elections, democracy, and human rights as well as mentorship and financial support for innovative and impactful election-related in-depth stories/series of stories to 10 journalists in Asia.
- Disinformation and Elections: Building Defenses vs. the Infodemic: The spread of malicious lies and trumped up information during elections has undermined the conduct of such democratic processes around the world. The systematic and organized character assassinations, historical revisionism and mythmaking online, among others, have increasingly influenced the perception and actions of the electorate that adversely shape the outcome of elections.
- Journalists from independent media outlets, local-based community media, or freelance working in Asia. Five of the 10 slots will go to journalists from ASEAN countries (Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam) and Timor-Leste.
- At least three years of demonstrable experience in reporting elections, politics, and/or democracy and human rights issues.
- Journalists from the women’s sector, the LGBTQI+ community, ethnic groups, and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
- Application statement which expresses your interest in the program and demonstrates your experience and background as a journalist.
- Links to portfolio/sample works.
- A story plan for a story or series of stories related to the theme that you wish to pursue under the program including a statement of the problem or issue, approach to reporting, target sources, timeline and publication strategy.
- As available fellow positions are limited, ANFREL also invites applicants to present how they plan to share what they will learn from the program with their organization and/or peers.
- Waiver from your media outlet, if applicable.
Support Offered by ANFREL to Successful Applicants
- Training on fundamental election concepts and reporting techniques (training sessions will be conducted online);
- Mentorship on election reporting;
- Financial and editorial support for the production of a story/series of stories on election-related issues.
For more information, visit https://anfrel.org/call-for-applications-anfrel-asian-media-fellowship-on-election-reporting/