Deadline: 30 June 2020
The core activity of the New India Foundation is the New India Fellowships, awarded to scholars and writers working on different aspects of the history of independent India. From a large pool of several hundred applications, about 15-20 are shortlisted to meet with the jury and about 5-10 fellowships are awarded.
The Foundation is ecumenical as regards genre, theme, and ideology: the only requirement is that the proposed works contribute to the fuller understanding of independent India. Thus Fellowship holders may choose to write a memoir, or a work of reportage, or a thickly footnoted academic study. Their books could be oriented towards economics, or politics, or culture. They could be a highly specific-an account of a single decade or a single region-or wide-ranging, such as a countrywide overview.
The books that result from the New India Fellowship convey original research in an accessible manner to different constituencies. To that end, each book is published by a prestigious publishing house. The Trustees have wide experience of publishing with leading firms in India and abroad.
(Ad) Stop getting irritated with excessing advertisements. View the information you want quickly on a clean, ad-free and exclusive Member Dashboard that offers tools to search for grants, view latest grant opportunities, upcoming deadlines, sample proposals, downloadable ebooks and also organize your favourites! Learn more.
Candidates for the New India Fellowship are sought through select advertising in leading journals. The Trustees assess the proposals and make a short list from the submissions. The shortlisted candidates are called for an interview, with a jury consisting of eminent people from the worlds of scholarship, business, and social service.
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
- Open only to Indian nationals, including those currently living abroad, the fellowships are awarded for one year and carry a stipend of Rs.1,50,000 a month.
- Fellowship holders are expected to write original books. Their proposals should be oriented towards final publication, and outline a road map towards that destination.
- The Fellowship is only open to Indian Citizens.
- The Fellowship is given against a self-declaration that all material and outputs are the original work of the author.
- Fellowship awardees are required to devote themselves full-time to the book project during the 1 year period.
- Past NIF Fellows may also apply.
For more information, visit https://newindiafoundation.org/nif-fellowship/
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.