Deadline: 6 July 2016
The Africa Research Excellence Fund is seeking applications for its AREF Research Development Fellowship 2016 with an aim to enhance the research competitiveness of early-career African researchers who have research leadership potential and are working on important challenges for human health in Africa.
- to develop your own research ideas and researchable questions
- to develop your skills – advanced research methods or technologies – to advance those ideas
- to extend your network of research collaborators and mentors
- to lay the foundations for an application for a highly competitive grant or fellowship award. If you apply for an award, you will need to describe how you would make these four opportunities happen – and how the fellowship would advance your development
The maximum award is 43,000 GB Pounds.
- Be a national of a country in sub-Saharan Africa excluding South Africa.
- Be working in an active research role and have guarantee of employment with a legally established research organisation or a University in sub-Saharan Africa for the duration of your fellowship.
- Have a declaration from your current director on how they will support your development as a researcher, if you receive an award.
- Have a PhD qualification:
- Non-clinician: PhD qualification within the last four years – awarded a PhD or equivalent postgraduate degree from a recognised institution of higher education after 30 June 2012 and before 1 July 2016
- Clinician: Clinically-active applicants should have a relevant3 Master’s degree and up to three years active research experience. They will normally have plans to gain a PhD or equivalent (although not as part of the AREF Fellowship).
How to Apply
Applicants must download the application form via given website.
Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo (Brazzaville), Congo (Democratic Republic), Côte d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Réunion, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Western Sahara, Zambia, Zimbabwe
For more information, please visit Research Development Fellowship.