The Australia Awards scholarships are prestigious international awards offered by the Australian Government to the next generation of global leaders for development. Through study and research, recipients develop the skills and knowledge to drive change and help build enduring people-to-people links with Australia.
Australia’s international development assistance in the Philippines helps promote prosperity, reduce poverty, and enhance political stability.
Applicants are assessed on their professional and personal qualities, academic competence, and, most importantly, their potential to impact development challenges in the Philippines.
Priority Fields of Study
The priority areas of study for the Philippines are:
- Public Health and Social Protection;
- Trade and Economics;
- Infrastructure and Smart Cities;
- Digital Economy and Cyber Security;
- Peace and Development;
- Governance and Public Policy, including Civil Society, Media, and Foreign Relations;
- Natural Resource Management, including Mining and Energy;
- Humanitarian and Disaster Risk Management.
Level of Study
- Australia Awards scholarships provide citizens of the Philippines with the opportunity to obtain a qualification at an Australian tertiary institution.
- Scholarships will be offered for commencement in January and June 2022 within the following categories:
- Open – for individuals who intend to pursue graduate studies in the identified priority areas of study;
- Targeted – for partner Philippine government agencies with mandates that support mutual priorities of Australia and the Philippines as reflected in Australia’s Covid-19 Development Response Plan for the Philippines and the Philippine Development Plan 2017-2022.
Australia Awards Benefits
- Australia Awards scholarships are offered for the minimum period necessary for the individual to complete the academic program specified by the Australian education institution, including any preparatory training.
- Scholarship recipients will receive the following:
- return air travel;
- a one-off establishment allowance on arrival;
- full tuition fees;
- contribution to living expenses;
- introductory academic program;
- overseas student health cover for the duration of the scholarship;
- supplementary academic support;
- fieldwork allowance for research students and masters by coursework which has a compulsory fieldwork component.
- English language proficiency:
- Applicants offered a scholarship must have achieved an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5 or higher (with no individual band score of less than 6.0) or an equivalent TOEFL or PTE score. Scores must be valid at 1 January 2022.
- Commencement of study:
- All scholarships must be taken up in the year for which they are awarded, this however also depends on travel restrictions due to COVID-19.
- Country-specific conditions:
- In addition to the eligibility requirements, candidates from the Philippines must also meet the following conditions:
- be residing in the Philippines for at least the last 12 months.
- have at least two years of cumulative work experience.
- not hold another scholarship.
- be a holder of a masters degree (for PhD applicants).
For more information, visit https://www.dfat.gov.au/about-us/publications/philippines-information-for-intake