Australia Awards scholarships are prestigious international awards offered by the Australian Government to the next generation of global leaders for development.
Through study and research, recipients develop the skills and knowledge to drive change and help build enduring people-to-people links with Australia.
Fields of Study Supported by the AAS
- In recognition of the genuine development challenges across all sectors in Laos, applications are encouraged from all fields of study, except for general business course and education management.
- Applicants should select courses that align with their experience and qualifications, or provide a strong justification for courses that represent a shift in career focus or direction
Priority Field of Study for Laos
The governments of Australia and Laos regularly review the list of priority fields of study together and adjust the emphasis of the program. For Intake 2022, field of studies for Laos reflect the Laos COVID-19 Development Response Plan the priority fields of study of the Lao Government.
- Health Security: public health, emergency operation management, communicable disease outbreak management, epidemiology, linkages between human and animal health and gender-based health care;
- Stability: basic education, stability in food and water supply, water resource management, human rights, gender equality, disability and social inclusion; and
- Economic Recovery: public financial management and economic governance, international trade and infrastructure management
- Sustainable Environment: environmental management, disaster management, forest and wildlife conservation and forestry resource management
Level of study
Australia Awards scholarships provide citizens of Laos with the opportunity to obtain a qualification at an Australian tertiary institution. Awards will be offered for commencement in 2022 within the following allocations:
- Vocational Education and Training (VET): diploma and advanced diploma,
- Masters Degree, and
- Doctorate Degree (PhD).
While applicants may nominate their preferred level of study, the final decision on which level of study to be offered will be determined by the selection panel.
In addition to the eligibility requirements, applicants from Laos must also meet the following conditions:
- be a citizen of Laos (only);
- on the application closing date, be aged between 18 and 50 years old;
- have been residing in the Lao PDR for a minimum of two years as of 30 April 2021 (exceptions may be considered for Government Officials who have had diplomatic postings overseas); and
- provide all of the required supporting documents listed under “Supporting documents”.
- must have completed upper secondary school; or
- if currently studying at tertiary level, must not have completed more than 2 years of diploma or undergraduate level study; or who already have a diploma or a bachelor degree, must have a minimum of two years’ work experience and be seeking qualifications to fill a skills shortfall or to change career direction.
Masters Degree Applicants
- must hold a Bachelor Degree; and
- must have a minimum of two years’ work experience;
- who already have a Masters Degree (including from overseas) are eligible to apply, but may be given lower priority.
PhD level Applicants
- must hold a Masters Degree;
- must have a minimum of three years’ work experience relevant to a postgraduate qualification.
- must have an IELTS Certificate of overall 6.5 with no individual band less than 6.0 obtained after 1 July 2021.
For more information, visit https://www.dfat.gov.au/about-us/publications/laos-information-for-intake