The Maharat Foundation is launching a call for fellowship applications.
The call ‘Media Standards Fellowship’ consists of an ongoing exchange and engagement with a core team of 10 selected journalists, who can influence the public discourse once provided with the necessary knowledge on media standards and relevant updates on the media reform process. The engagement with the 10 fellows extends from June until December 2023. The 10 fellows will be the ‘champions’ of the action, amplifying the messages needed throughout the process through the production of at least 2 media products and through the organization of other kind of dissemination activities. They will be invited to take part in the seminars and will receive all the papers produced through the action.
Maharat Foundation, in collaboration with Legal Agenda and Media Journalism Research Center, is implementing a programme called “Support to Media Reform in Lebanon to enhance freedom of expression” with the support of the European Union from 2023 to 2024.
- The overall objective of the fellowship is to support media makers to understand media standards and to cover the media reform process in Lebanon, to create a public opinion case.
- The main expected results are to have Increased expertise of journalists on media standards through the fellowship program and increased media attention on the media reform process in Lebanon.
- Each fellow journalist will receive an amount of maximum 2,000 Euros
- Type of support
- 10 individual journalists, producers, correspondents, reporters, segments hosts, presenters will be selected.
- In addition to financial support, the selected fellows will benefit from support in mentorship and technical assistance.
Duration: From June till December 2023.
- Eligible activities to receive the fellowship support: Production of media content for dissemination purposes including news articles, video reportages, multimedia stories, infographics, audio formats, interviews, news or programs segment. More specifically:
- Writing 600 to 1500 words articles
- Production of a 2 to 3 minutes video reportage
- Development of multimedia stories (video, audio and infographics) related to the topics of the action – Production of podcasts (min. 15 minutes)
- Interview with a local, regional or European Expert
- Activities related to awareness raising on media standards
- Topics to be covered should be related to one of the 6 subthemes as follows:
- Freedom of expression & criminalisation II
- Associations of journalists III
- Regulation and co-regulation: supervisory authority, independent press council, public broadcast
- Protection of journalists and journalistic sources
- Incentives for media startups
- Innovation: How to modernize media laws to cope with digital change
Geographical scope: All regions across Lebanon
- Individual journalists,
- Segments hosts,
- Applicants will be selected according the following criteria:
- Current full-time employment for the news or editorial departments or programs of TV, radio, newspapers, magazines; or online publications of general public interest and based in Lebanon; or
- Freelance journalist that has a current CV or online portfolio and a history of working with renowned news organizations in Lebanon.
- At least five years of full-time professional experience in the journalism field.
- Signed up to a press syndicate or part of a press association or club or a journalistic community
For more information, visit Maharat Foundation.