Applications for the Inlaks Shivdasani Fellowship for Social Engagement 2023 are now open.
The Inlaks Shivdasani Fellowship for Social Engagement will give graduates and early to mid-career professionals the confidence and security to explore alternatives and make independent choices about their lives while contributing to social change. The fellowship aims to increase participation in public life among young people while encouraging them to challenge the status quo.
The fellowship will give young people the opportunity to work with a mentor of their choice and involve themselves in a process where knowledge drives social change. The fellowship will give participants the chance to build a diverse worldview and establish long-lasting connections to issues of public importance.
The work pursued may take many forms, including action-oriented research, cause lawyering, grassroots journalism, ecological efforts, minority rights, public health, archiving, reviving, or reporting on dying arts, culture, language etc. (Applicants proposing to work on art installations, photo books etc. are not eligible to apply for this fellowship. They are encouraged to apply for the Inlaks Fine Arts Award). A brief profile of fellows selected for the maiden cohort of the fellowship is available here and here.
The fellowship is committed to supporting equality of opportunity, social inclusion, freedom of expression, and respect for individual and constitutional rights.
- Depending on the geographical location of the fellow, the fellowship stipend will be as follows:
- 45,000 per month if the fellow is living and working in a “X” category area.
- 35,000 per month if the fellow is living and working in a “Y” category area.
- 25,000 per month if the fellow is living and working in a “Z” category area.
- In exceptional cases, additional funding up to a maximum of Rs. 20,000 can be granted for special projects undertaken by a fellow. This will be approved on a case-by-case basis upon submission of a proposal describing the particulars of the said initiative and the expenses involved.
- The fellowship will last for 2 years subject to satisfactory completion of a probation period and quarterly and annual review of the fellows’ work. The probation period will be for the first 6 months of the fellowship. The stipend will be disbursed half yearly in advance. The stipend is subject to timely receipt of quarterly reports in which fellows self assess their progress.
- Ten fellowships will be awarded across the following two categories:
- Graduates (applicants must not have attained the age of 30 years as on 5.1.2023 and must have a bachelor’s degree); and
- Early to mid-career professionals (applicants must not have attained the age of 35 years as on 5.1.2023 and must have at least 3 years of relevant work experience).
- Equal consideration will be given to candidates from urban and rural areas. The applicant for this award must be an Indian passport holder, currently resident in India.
- Those enrolled in academic studies/PhD for the duration of the fellowship are not eligible to apply.
Expectations from Fellows
- A commitment to a 2-year fellowship term subject to the terms and conditions outlined in the contract with Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation.
- Fellows are expected to carry out their work in good faith and to the best of their abilities comporting with the highest standards of ethics, inclusion and fairness.
- Fellows are expected to abide by the working policies of their host organization.
- Fellows shall submit progress reports to the foundation for quarterly review. This will be reviewweed and commented on by their mentor.
- An annual presentation of the fellows’ work.
- To enable the fellows to build a diverse worldview, fellows are expected to engage with their peers in the fellowship, participate and contribute to reflection workshops conducted by the foundation from time to time.
For more information, visit https://inlaksfoundation.org/inlaks-shivdasani-fellowship-for-social-engagement/