Deadline: 9 July 2018
As part of Adelante, IWMF’s Latin America reporting initiative, a group of women journalists will travel to Guatemala to report on the Environment from September 20 – October 5, 2018. Reporting fellows will begin their trip in Mexico City, Mexico, where they will complete comprehensive security training and an orientation from September 21 – 24.
Fellows will then depart for nine days of reporting based in Guatemala City, Guatemala where they will have the opportunity to network with other journalists, report independently and collaboratively with their peers, and gain access to a variety of sources and sites related to their reporting. The IWMF will facilitate two pre-approved trips outside of Guatemala City for three days/two nights to Flores in Guatemala’s northern Petén region and to Puerto Barrios in the department of Izabal and their surrounding areas. Both trips are optional and will run concurrently.
- The IWMF arranges travel and in-country logistics for all Fellows.
- The IWMF also covers fellowship-related costs within the framework of the reporting trip including travel, visa fees, lodging, meals and fixers/interpreters, unless a selected journalist’s news organization wishes to assume these costs.
- Fellows living outside the U.S. are responsible for procuring all necessary visas for which they will be reimbursed at the conclusion of the fellowship.
- The reporting fellowship is open to individuals and to teams of two (2) journalists. Both journalists must meet the eligibility criteria. Team members should submit individual applications and indicate their plans to work together in their statements of interest.
- Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Affiliated or freelance women journalists with three (3) or more years of professional experience working in news media. Internships do not count toward professional experience.
- Women journalists of all nationalities are welcome to apply.
- Non-native English speakers must have excellent written and verbal English skills in order to fully participate in and benefit from the program.
- Applicant must be able to show proof of interest from an editor or have a proven track record of publication in prominent media outlets.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can apply via given website.
For more information, please visit IWMF.