Deadline: 1 August 2019
Do you want to work to advance the implementation of Sustainable Development Goals? Do you want to fight poverty and ensure sustainable development? Do you want to lead change and develop your skills to do so? If so, you are invited to apply to the African Young Women Leaders Fellowship Programme – a partnership between the African Union Commission (AUC) and the United Nations Development Program (UNDP).
This exciting partnership aims to build a new generation of young African women leaders and experts to serve Africa and the world in designing and implementing development programs in the context of the SDGs and Agenda 2063.
The program is looking for 20 young African women who are ready to take up a fellowship assignment for 12 months starting from October 2019.
(Ad) Stop getting irritated with excessing advertisements. View the information you want quickly on a clean, ad-free and exclusive Member Dashboard that offers tools to search for grants, view latest grant opportunities, upcoming deadlines, sample proposals, downloadable ebooks and also organize your favourites! Learn more.
Assignment and Conditions
The African Young Women Leaders Fellowship Program offers an interesting assignment with UNDP at Headquarters in New York or in a regional or country office.
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
Following a joint induction by AUC and UNDP, Fellows will work under the supervision and coaching of an experienced UNDP people manager and will participate in a mentorship and transformative leadership development training program jointly developed by AUC and UNDP.
Key areas of work relate to supporting:
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
- collection and analysis of information on SDGs and Agenda 2063
- SDG implementation and experimentation
- promising areas of innovation, South-South and Tri-lateral collaboration, partnerships and resource mobilization that accelerate UNDP’s program implementation
The Fellowship Program will cover expenses related to travel and medical insurance. In addition, each Fellow will be paid a stipend to cover accommodation and living costs at the respective duty station.
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.
- To be considered for the African Young Women Leaders Fellowship Program, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- National of an AU Member State (Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Sahrawi Republic (Western Sahara), Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe).
- Aged below 34 years at the date of application.
- Hold a Master’s degree or equivalent in Economics, Political Science, Business Administration, International Relations/Development, or other relevant fields.
- Maximum 1 year of working experience in research, analysis and program/project development, implementation and management.
- Available in 2019/20 to dedicate 12 months for a fellowship program and available to participate in an induction workshop in Addis Ababa from October 2019.
- Willing to live and work outside their country of residence.
- Proficiency in at least one AU working language (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese) and working knowledge of English.
- Understanding of, and interest in, poverty eradication, sustainable structural transformation, the SDGs and Africa’s Agenda 2063.
- Capacity to gather comprehensive information on complex problems or situations, evaluating information accurately, analyzing and identifying key issues and solutions.
- Desirable experience:
- initiative, client-orientation, and working in teams, and complex and time-pressured contexts, field experience in an African country.
- experience in developing technical proposals.
- leadership, innovation and technology and setting up networks/hubs/hangouts.
How to Apply
- Application must be in English and must include the following (to be scanned and uploaded as one document):
- A detailed CV
- A one page motivation letter highlighting why applicants would be an outstanding candidate, their strengths and how applicant’s participation in the Program would contribute to their future career
- A short essay of not more than 1,500 words (3 pages single spaced) detailing applicant’s innovative solution to a complex development problem – youth unemployment. Describe the nature of the problem, what the underlying causes are, who is responsible for solving this problem, what applicant’s innovative solution is and how applicants would implement it.
- Copies of academic degrees
- 2 professional references
- Applicants can apply via given website.
For more information, please visit https://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?cur_job_id=86046
(Ad) How to raise funds? Where can I find a list of donors for my area of work? How to write proposals? How can I submit a grant request to USAID, the European Commission or the Gates Foundation? How can I use Social Media to promote my work? We have developed powerful resources in the form of Ebook and Articles covering all this information and more. Learn more.