The Teach For India Fellowship Program 2021-2023 has been launched for India’s brightest and most promising individuals, from the nation’s best universities and workplaces, to serve as full-time teachers to children from underserved communities in some of the nation’s most under-resourced schools.
Through this experience of teaching in classrooms and working with key education stakeholders like students, principals, and parents, the Fellows get exposed to the grassroots realities of India’s education system and begin to cultivate the knowledge, skills, and mindsets necessary to attain positions of leadership in education and identify their role in building a wider movement for educational equity in the country.
Teach For India Fellows commit two years, full-time, to providing their students with the opportunities that can put them on a different life path. The Fellowship journey is one of teaching and learning, of working for children while developing fellow’s leadership. The Fellows are on a mission to end educational inequity for their children, and through this, they develop a long-term commitment to multiplying that impact as Alumni.
The Teach For India Fellowship is a 2-year, full-time, paid commitment to teach in an under-resourced classroom in a government or low-income private school. In the first year, Fellows will refine their teaching skills and will start to establish respect and trust among various stakeholders within the school community and the students. This will allow Fellows to achieve significant academic gains for students and to implement their community/school project in the second year. Furthermore, Teach For India is looking for leaders who are willing to commit to long-term change and have the perseverance to work hard in challenging situations. In this context, the two-year commitment is but a small step towards long-term reform and is necessary to make the impact they wish to have on student achievement.
At Teach For India, they believe leadership for education is the solution. They are building a movement of leaders who will eliminate educational inequity in India.
- Teach For India Fellows will be paid a salary of Rs. 20,412 per month.
- If required to relocate from their home city, Fellows will be given a housing allowance ranging from Rs. 5,300 to Rs. 10,000, depending on the city in which they will stay.
- In addition, Fellows will receive an allowance for school supplies.
- Minimum Qualification: You must have completed all coursework required for your undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s degree equivalent) from an accredited college or university by the last week of May 2021. Your degree transcripts (graduate/postgraduate certificates) will be reviewed before an admission decision can be taken. Applicants must also pass any coursework indicated in their transcripts at the time of the interview.
- Nationality: You should be either an Indian citizen or a foreign national of Indian origin. Foreign citizens who are not of Indian origin are not eligible to apply.
- Note to Foreign nationals of Indian origin: For more information on the OCI card, please go to the website of the Ministry of Home Affairs. To apply for the OCI card, visit the Online OCI Registration Form. They recommend applying for the OCI card as soon as you have made the decision to join the Fellowship, as it takes approximately 1-3 months to receive the card.
- Commitment and Location: The Fellowship is a 2-year, full-time, paid commitment to teaching and living in one of their placement cities (Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Pune) starting May/June 2021. Fellows will be full-time staff members of the schools in which they are placed and will work stipulated school hours six days a week as well as attending training and support sessions as per city requirements.
- English Fluency: You should be fluent in the English language, as Teach For India Fellows will be placed in English-medium classrooms and will be expected to teach in and attend training sessions conducted in English.
- Age Limit: There is no age limit to apply for Teach For India Fellowship.
For more information, visit https://www.teachforindia.org/faqs