Deadline: 31 May 2016
The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) is currently accepting applications for its 2016 Fellowship Programme for People of African Descent, with an aim to protect and promote of civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights of people of African descent in their respective countries.
Each fellow is entitled to a return ticket (economy class) from the country of residence to Geneva; basic health insurance; and a stipend to cover modest accommodation and other living expenses for the duration of the Programme.
- The candidate must be an individual of African descent living in the Diaspora.
- The candidate must have a minimum of 4 years of work experience related to the rights of People of African Descent.
- The candidate needs to have sufficient command of the English language to be able to participate fully in the programme.
- The candidate has to submit a letter of support from an organization working on issues related to People of African Descent or minority rights.
- The candidates must be available to attend the full duration of the programme. The selected fellows will be expected to participate in different activities and to strictly follow the programme.
How to Apply
Applicants are requested to submit the following documents in one single e-mail through the given website.
- A Curriculum Vitae
- A completed, signed and scanned Application Form in one single document.
- A Personal Statement (maximum 500 words) in which the candidate will explain his/her motivation for applying, and how he/she will use the knowledge gained from the fellowship to promote the interests and rights of people of African descent.
- An Official Letter of Support from the nominating organization or community
- A copy of the applicant’s passport.
Eligible Countries: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cabo Verde, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Republic of the, Congo, Democratic Republic of the Cote d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
For more information, please visit 2016 Fellowship Programme.