The context of the current global challenges is more complex than ever before. Recent years have witnessed the rise of discrimination against various groups and hate crimes targeting vulnerable populations, further exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic which revealed that no society is spared.
Growing intolerance, xenophobia, discrimination, and hate speech pose an enormous threat to international peace and security. Peace is the central promise of the Charter of the United Nations and one of the principal global public goods the United Nations was established to deliver (Our Common Agenda, The report of the Secretary-General). Thus, investing in prevention and peacebuilding is paramount to building pluralistic and diverse societies.
- The goal of the Fellowship is to challenge perceptions and deconstruct stereotypes by providing participants with first hand exposure to cultural diversity. In every country they visit, UNAOC Fellows will interact with a wide range of local stakeholders.
- Together, they will explore opportunities for intercultural collaboration and exchange ideas and good practices on building pluralistic and diverse societies as a foundation for sustainable peace.
- The theme of the Fellowship 2022 is “Countering discrimination and racism: the nexus to building pluralistic and diverse societies”.
- The choice of the theme stems from UNAOC’s core mandate of tackling racism and discrimination and finding ways to addressing root causes of polarization within and between societies.
- Be nationals of EUNA & MENA countries;
- Be born between 1 January 1987 and 31 December 1997;
- Be fluent in English;
- Have a solid experience in the fields of peacebuilding/conflict prevention and/or tackling discrimination and racism;
- Have knowledge of the UN and its global agenda;
- Be in possession of a passport valid at least 6 months beyond September 2022 (1 April 2023 and beyond);
- Must not have participated in any of UNAOC programmes before.
For more information, visit https://www.unaoc.org/2022/05/unaoc-announces-call-for-applications-for-the-2022-edition-of-its-fellowship-programme/