Deadline: 9 September 2016
The United Nations and The Nippon Foundation of Japan is currently inviting applications for its Fellowship Programme with an aim to provide capacity-building and human resource development to developing States Parties and non-Parties to UNCLOS through a new Fellowship Programme. The Programme is executed by the Division for Ocean Affairs and the Law of the Sea (DOALOS) of the Office of Legal Affairs.
- The 9-month Fellowship Programme is composed of two consecutive phases which provide Fellows with advanced and customized research and training opportunities in their chose fields:
- Phase One: 3-month Research and Training – normally undertaken at DOALOS at the United Nations Headquarters in New York.
- Phase Two: 6-month Advanced Academic Research and Study – undertaken at one of the prestigious participating Host Institutions and under the guidance of subject matter expert(s) who have recognized in-depth expertise in the Fellows’ chosen field of study.
- The Programme offers, on an annual basis, advanced and customized opportunities in the field of ocean affairs and the law of the sea, and related disciplines, to Government officials and other mid-level professionals from developing States.
- The Programme aims at providing the necessary knowledge and skills to assist developing States towards the formulation of comprehensive ocean law and policy, and to implement UNCLOS and related instrument, to achieve sustainable management of their ocean spaces, resources and activates.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Be nominated by their Government, employer or competent organization;
- Be between the ages of 25 and 40;
- Possess a first university degree in a related discipline, and have a demonstrated ability to undertake independent advanced research and studies in an academic context;
- Be mid-level professionals and who can demonstrate that they work directly on ocean issues;
- Be in a position to accept placement with host institutions for a period of no less than nine consecutive months;
- Be in a good state of health so as to be cleared by the UN Medical Service;
- Be in a position to obtain all relevant visas, including transit visas.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can send their applications at the address given on the website.
For more information, please visit United Nations and Nippon Foundation’s Fellowship Program.