Keen to try something with Wikidata! Got a crazy idea? Or a provocation? Or an idea that needs investigating? Wikimedia Australia and Wikimedia Aotearoa New Zealand are offering two creative fellowships grants of $1000 (AUD) and one of $1000 (NZD) to curate a data set, develop a prototype or undertake an investigation using Wikidata.
Wikidata is a free and open knowledge base that can be read and edited by both humans and machines. Launched in 2012, Wikidata acts as central storage for the structured data of its Wikimedia sister projects including Wikipedia, Wikivoyage, Wiktionary, Wikisource, and others.
Proposed projects may, but are not limited to investigating the following areas:
- Australian and Oceania regional content and languages on Wikidata
- Addressing gaps or diversity on Wikidata
- Bias on Wikidata or sources
- Visualisation or creative realisations using Wikidata
- Accessibility on Wikidata
- Automation and Wikidata
- Ethics and open source data
Wikimedia Australia will offer two fellowships of $1,000 AUD, and Wikimedia Aotearoa New Zealand will offer one fellowship of $1,000 NZD. Payment of the grant will be made in 50% installments: $500 AUD/NZD paid at the start of the fellowship, and the remaining $500 AUD/NZD upon its completion upon provision of a tax invoice. Fellows must complete the requirements of the fellowship for the stipend to be paid in full.
Creative Wikidata fellowships are open to any person in Australia, New Zealand, and the Oceania region – students and educators, statisticians, programmers, librarians, creators and users, artists, activists or organisers.
Proposed projects will be assessed by a panel based on the following criteria:
- Alignment with Wikimedia Australia’s mission and purpose
- Feasibility of idea within project timeframe
- Any Wikimedia editing experience (preferred but not essential)
- This fellowship program comes under Wikimedia Australia Safe Space policy. Fellows are encouraged to collaborate where appropriate with the broader Wikimedia community throughout the fellowship period.
For more information, visit Wikimedia Australia.