As part of the preparation for the Generation Equality Forum, a global meeting focused on the achievement of gender equality and with a leading role for civil society, the call for the selection process of the youth leaders of the Coalitions for Action of Generation Equality has been announced.
The Generation Equality Forum, convened by UN Women and organized jointly with the Governments of Mexico and France, is a unique opportunity to reaffirm the validity of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action 25 years after its adoption.
What are Action Coalitions?
Action Coalitions will be vital to a strong, vibrant and results-driven constituency of partners. UN Women is the overall convener of the Generation Equality Action Coalitions. There are six Action Coalitions covering the following themes:
- Gender-based violence
- Economic justice and rights
- Bodily autonomy and sexual and reproductive health and rights
- Feminist action for climate justice
- Technology and innovation for gender equality
- Feminist movements and leadership
Who are the Action Coalition Leaders?
Leaders of Action Coalitions will be comprised of the following:
- Youth-led organizations, including adolescent-girl led organizations
- Governments from the Global South and North
- Women’s organizations and movements
- Private sector entities, including philanthropic organizations
What kinds of Youth-led Organizations can apply?
- Youth-led organizations must be led by young people themselves. Youth-serving or youthfocused organizations are not eligible for consideration in the youth-led slot.
- Organizations do not need to be registered officially. However, applications must be from organizations, networks, or alliances rather than individuals.
- A coalition of youth-led organizations can submit a joint application. When applying as a coalition, please submit only one letter and clearly indicate which organization will act as the main point of contact.
The criteria for all leaders of Action Coalitions is as follows:
- Evidence of commitment to the theme of Action Coalition, either through past work or a new vision.
- A ground-breaking five-year commitment relevant to the Action Coalition theme that demonstrates a vision for change.
- Active engagement in the design of the Action Coalition blueprint alongside annual tracking and reporting as part of regular reporting. In addition, all Action Coalition leaders will be strongly encouraged to attend an annual event at the UN General Assembly.
- Demonstration of how the organization will utilize their voice and network to engage others and mobilize additional support for the Action Coalition theme. Youth-led organizations are not expected to make any financial contribution or commitment.
For more information, visit https://lac.unwomen.org/en/noticias-y-eventos/articulos/2020/07/rumbo-al-foro-generacion-igualdad-liderazgos-juventud-coaliciones-para-la-accion