Let’s design scalable solutions to support low- and middle-income families in the urban Global South, so they can adapt and thrive during the COVID-19 pandemic.
OpenIDEO is seeking innovative ideas for its COVID-19 Global South Health and Livelihoods Challenge that demonstrate a deep understanding of low- and middle-income families in urban areas in the Global South and of those who have been most impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The challenge of COVID-19 for low- and middle-income families in the urban Global South represents a confluence of many challenges in one. According to the IPI Global Observatory, the Global South has “the highest rates of COVID-19 in the world, a lack of adequate access to healthcare, and a large emerging middle class that is at risk of sliding back into poverty.
- Prize funds and support will be available to up to 10 Top Ideas. Additionally, Top Ideas will be invited to pitch their concepts to leadership from Intercorp to be considered for additional investment and implementation.
- Informal and semi-formal economy
- Access to basic necessities (shops, markets, affordable WASH programs)
- Mobility and public transportation
- Tracking, tracing, and the visibility of contagion
Up to 10 selected Top Ideas are eligible to receive a combination of the following:
- A share of 55K USD in funding, distributed to up to five of the selected Top Ideas. This funding is provided by La Victoria Lab, Intercorp’s Innovation Lab.
- An invitation to pitch and present their concepts to leadership from Intercorp, and the Challenge Advisory Team (which includes many of the partners listed above). This event will be an opportunity for visibility and relationship building, to support with additional investment and implementation. Additional details will be announced soon.
- One complimentary seat in an upcoming IDEO U course per team
- Entry into La Victoria Lab’s three-week Accelerator Program.
- Submissions are welcome from entrepreneurs, researchers, scientists, students, private and public sector organizations, nonprofits, and others working anywhere in the Global South or with a deep understanding of the context in which communities in the region are operating. Submissions will have two tiers:
For more information, visit https://www.openideo.com/challenge-briefs/covid-health-livelihoods