Technology can be a powerful tool to unlock improved pathways for rare disease patients. Telemedicine can speed up connections to specialists such as genetic counselors and oncologists. Advanced analytics can identify patterns in misdiagnosis and guide better decision making. And patient-centered innovations can promote community and agency among rare disease patients.
Solve is an initiative of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) with a mission to solve world challenges. Solve is a marketplace for social impact innovation. Through open innovation Challenges, Solve finds incredible tech-based social entrepreneurs all around the world. Solve then brings together MIT’s innovation ecosystem and a community of Members to fund and support these entrepreneurs to help them drive lasting, transformational impact.
To that end, this Challenge seeks solutions that:
- Leverage big data and analytics to improve the detection and diagnosis of rare diseases
- Address the unjust and disproportionate burden of rare diseases faced by disinvested communities and historically underrepresented identity groups
- Promote community and connection among rare disease patients and their advocates
- Unlock collaboration among patients, scientists, and health care providers to improve patient outcomes
- Up to $150,000 in prize funding is available for up to two solution teams selected for The Horizon Prize.
Solutions will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Alignment: Solution uses technology to address one of Solve’s Global Challenges.
- Potential for Impact: Solution implementation has the potential to impact lives.
- Feasibility: Solution implementation is feasible, and the team has a plan for financial sustainability.
- Inclusive Human-Centered Design: Solution is designed with and for underserved communities; the solution team demonstrates proximity to the community, and embodies and addresses diversity, equity, and inclusion through their solution.
- Innovative Approach: Solution includes a new technology, a new application of technology, a new business model, or a new process for solving the Challenge.
- Scalability: Solution can be scaled to affect the lives of more people.
For more information, visit https://solve.mit.edu/challenges/horizonprize#challenge-subnav-offset