Deadline: 6 May 2020
The New York Academy of Sciences has announced the Challenge: Combating COVID-19.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the recent outbreak of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) a pandemic, spanning 112 countries and infecting over 150,000 people. As scientists and public health experts rush to find solutions to contain the spread, much still remains unknown about COVID-19.
As the world races to contain the virus, existing and emerging technologies are proving to be valuable. In fact, governments and health care facilities have increasingly turned to technology to help manage the outbreak. In China, where the first confirmed case of COVID-19 was reported, the government has launched several initiatives to integrate artificial intelligence (AI) and data science into the healthcare system to track and contain the outbreak.
The rapid spread of COVID-19 has sparked alarm worldwide. Many countries are grappling with the rise in confirmed cases. It is urgent and crucial to discover ways to use technology to contain the outbreak and manage future public health emergencies.
In this six (6) week innovation challenge students ages 13-17 from around the world will have the opportunity to form virtual teams to develop technology-based solutions to slow the spread of COVID-19.
The winner and finalists will be announced in June, 2020.
- Each member of the winning team will receive a $500 travel scholarship to attend the Global STEM Alliance Summit at the New York Academy of Sciences.
- Automatic acceptance into The Junior Academy of the New York Academy of Sciences in Fall 2020.
- Members of the grand prize team will become Young Members of the New York Academy of Sciences, which entitles them to free access to selected Academy content, a digital Membership Certificate, which is shareable on social media, and a complimentary year of full Academy Membership when they turn 18.
- Automatic acceptance into The Junior Academy of the New York Academy of Sciences in Fall 2020
- Members of the finalist teams will become Young Members of the New York Academy of Sciences, which entitles them to free access to selected Academy content, a digital Membership Certificate, which is shareable on social media, and a complimentary year of full Academy Membership when they turn 18.
Individuals must acknowledge that they have read the official challenge rules before completing the signup process:
- The Challenge is open and offered to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia and participants from all countries except those subject to U.S. sanctions.
- Individuals must be between the ages of 13 and 17 to be eligible to participate in the Challenge.
- All materials, communication, and solutions used, distributed and submitted in the Challenge should be in English.
- Eligible participants can work individually or in teams. Each team may contain up to six members.
- The challenge statement containing the detailed challenge question and judging criteria is available on the website.
- By submitting a solution, participants agree to all of the submission requirements, including confidentiality, selection and reviewing process.
- Prizes will be awarded in accordance with U.S. law which may restrict or prohibit awards to teams and members within countries subject to U.S. sanctions.
For more information, visit https://www.nyas.org/challenges/combating-covid-19/?tab=overview