For more than 30 years, HESI has built and led multi-sector programs that bridge science into application to improve human and environmental health. This year’s prize will recognize an individual who shares HESI’s mission-driven commitment to health with a specific focus on improving health equity and reducing health disparities.
The HESI Innovation Prize recognizes exceptional scientists who share HESI’s commitment to synthesizing ideas, resources, and collaborators across scientific disciplines and sectors – and who have demonstrated particular creativity and impact in doing so. Awardees will have applied this approach to catalyze health equity progress in relation to one or more of the following areas that are central to HESI’s core operations:
- Safe and effective medicines
- Food safety and security
- Chemical and consumer product safety
- Environmental quality and sustainability
- The 2021 HESI Innovation Prize is an unrestricted cash prize of $80,000 USD to be awarded to a single individual (or multiple nominees if applying together) who has helped to reduce disproportionate health burdens in underserved populations and/or to promote greater health equity.
- Nominees(s) must hold a master’s degree, M.D., Ph.D., D.V.M., or equivalent degree. Academic, government, NGO, or non-profit sector scientists may be nominated or may self-nominate but Centers, Programs, Institutes, Universities, etc. are not eligible for the Prize. There are no geographic restrictions. HESI staff and HESI elected leadership (Board of Trustees and Emerging Issues Committee science advisors) are ineligible for the Prize.
- Awardees will have demonstrated fulfillment of the criteria for the Prize; prospective programming or effort is not eligible for consideration. The work/impacts submitted for consideration for this Prize must have taken place within the last five years. The entrant must have designed, performed, and/or personally directed the work described in their application.
- Awardees must be willing to give an online presentation about their work to the HESI membership.
- Nominees who do not win the Prize are eligible to reapply if they meet all other eligibility requirements.
For more information, visit https://hesiglobal.org/hesi-innovation-prize/