Nominations are now open for the Wellcome Discovery Awards to provide funding for established researchers and teams from any discipline who want to pursue bold and creative research ideas to deliver significant shifts in understanding that could improve human life, health and wellbeing.
Duration of funding: Usually 8 years, but may be less for some disciplines, and longer if held on a part-time basis.
Where the host organisation of the lead applicant is based?
What they Offer?
The award includes:
- continuing professional development and training
- materials and consumables
- equipment:If a complete piece of specialised equipment costs £100,000
- access charges
- travel and subsistence
- overseas allowances
- fieldwork expenses
- inflation allowance
- open access charges
- clinical research costs
- public engagement and patient involvement costs
- contract research organisations
- other costs
- You can apply for a Wellcome Career Development Award if you are a mid-career researcher and you are ready to lead a substantial and innovative research programme. You must aim to make a key contribution to your field by:
- generating significant shifts in understanding
- developing methodologies, conceptual frameworks, tools or techniques that could benefit health-related research.
- Co applicants
- Co applicants can be at any career stage and based anywhere in the world, apart from mainland China.
- Each coapplicant must make a significant and essential contribution to the research proposal, for example designing the research, writing the application and/or managing the programme. They must be able to contribute at least 20% of their research time to the programme.
For more information, visit https://wellcome.org/grant-funding/schemes/discovery-awards