Deadline: 8 May 2017
The Wellcome Foundation is seeking applications for its “Intermediate Fellowships in Public Health and Tropical Medicine” to support research that will improve public health and tropical medicine at a local, national and global level.
This scheme helps mid-career researchers from low- and middle-income countries establish independent research programmes in those countries.
- An Intermediate Fellowship in Public Health and Tropical Medicine is for up to five years and cannot be renewed. It can be held on a part-time basis. Support includes:
- a basic salary (determined by host organisation)
- personal removal expenses
- research expenses, directly related to proposal
- Applicant can also apply for public engagement funds to involve the public in his/her research and inspire learning.
- After completing a year of this fellowship, applicant can apply for enhancement funds. These funds allow him/her to explore new opportunities or paths of discovery, or support unanticipated costs.
- Applicants can apply for an Intermediate Fellowship in Public Health and Tropical Medicine if they:
- If applicants don’t have a PhD or degree in medicine, foundation may still consider him/her if he/she have a first or Master’s degree and can show substantial research experience. Applicant must also:
- have a strong track record in his/her area of research and show the potential to become a scientific leader
- have sponsorship from an eligible host organisation in a low- or middle-income country
- have a research proposal that is within the public health and tropical medicine remit.
- If applicant have been away from research (e.g. for a career break, maternity leave, or long-term sick leave), foundation will allow for this when they consider applicants application. If applicant has taken formal maternity, paternity, adoption or long-term sick leave, foundation will allow an extra six months for each period of leave when we consider postdoctoral experience.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can apply via given website.
Eligible Countries: Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, American Samoa, Angola, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Congo, Rep., Costa Rica, Côte d’Ivoire, Cuba, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic , Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Korea, Kosovo, Kyrgyz Republic, Lao PDR, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro. Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Romania, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé and Principe, Senegal, Serbia, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syrian, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Vietnam, West Bank and Gaza, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
For more information, please visit Wellcome Foundation.