Deadline: 15 January 2017
Entries are open for 2017 IAPA Excellence in Journalism Awards to highlight the most relevant issues and express the renewal of the technologies and language that are inherent of the best of journalism in the hemisphere.
The Inter American Press Association is a non-profit organization bringing together Western Hemisphere publications interested in promoting and protecting freedom of the press and the public’s right to be informed in the New World.
The awards ceremony will be held in October 2017 during the 73rd IAPA General Assembly in Salt Lake, City, Utah, United States.
- To defend freedom of the press
- To promote and protect the general and specific interests of daily newspapers and periodicals of the Americas.
- To strengthen and preserve the dignity, rights, and responsibilities of journalism
- To foster uniformity in professional standards and ethical conduct
- To exchange ideas and information leading to the cultural and technological development of the press
- To strive for broader understanding and cooperation among the people of the Americas and to uphold the fundamental principles upon which a free society and individual freedoms are based
- Human Rights and Community Service
- Online News Coverage
- News Coverage
- Alejandro Miró Quesada Garland News Coverage on Mobile Phones
- Info graphics
- Data Journalism
- In-Depth Journalism
- Pedro Joaquín Chamorro University Journalism
- IAPA Press Freedom Grand Prize
- Each first prize is rewarded with US $ 2,000 (two thousand U.S. dollars).
- The winners will receive their prizes-consisting of cash, plaques and / or diplomas, during the annual General Assembly of the SIP. News organizations that sponsor the nomination of their candidates undertake to provide, within its capacity, the concurrence of the winners at the award ceremony of the awards.
- In the opinion of the jury may also award honorable mentions, in which case the prize is a diploma.
- The competition takes place in 13 basic categories besides the IAPA Grand Prize for Press Freedom. Published papers can compete in any of the three languages mentioned: Spanish, English and Portuguese.
- Only those bidders will be considered journalism actually published in a daily, weekly, magazine or online publication.
- The work may compete in only one category, which is clearly defined by the contestant. The jury, in its discretion, may reclassify jobs.
- If the same journalistic work has been published in more than one publication, although it belongs to the same publishing company, the applicant must choose only one. If submitted under more than one publication, will be disqualified.
- The same journalist can submit jobs to three categories, but cannot send more than one application per category. A collective work shall, for these purposes, as a single person, so that the work may compete in only one category.
- The awards are given to journalists and the media.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can apply online via given website.
Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Bolivia, Brazil, Caiman Island, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Curacao, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Francia, Germany, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, Spain, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Marteen, Switzerland, Trinidad and Tobago, United States, Uruguay, Venezuela, Virgin Island.
For more information, please visit IAPA Excellence in Journalism Award.