Deadline: 15 October 2019
The U.S. Embassy in Beirut is currently inviting the public to apply to an online course entitled “Freedom of Expression in the Age of Globalization”, offered by Columbia University.
Adopting a global standpoint, this course will present the international human rights norms and laws that define free speech and the global jurisprudence that has developed to safeguard it. It will explore political expression, press freedom and freedom of expression on the Internet. It will outline the legitimate restrictions to freedom of expression, and discuss its most pressing challenges and violations globally.
Taught with the support of journalists, human rights defenders and press freedom activists from around the world, this course is a formidable introduction to a complex fundamental right, at the heart of today’s many global challenges, from the Internet to national security, freedom of religion and privacy.
(Ad) Stop getting irritated with excessing advertisements. View the information you want quickly on a clean, ad-free and exclusive Member Dashboard that offers tools to search for grants, view latest grant opportunities, upcoming deadlines, sample proposals, downloadable ebooks and also organize your favourites! Learn more.
What will students learn?
- The principles behind the protection of freedom of expression and information
- The international standards that define and protect freedom of expression and the bodies responsible for enforcing them
- The norms and tests governing the legitimate restriction to freedom of expression
- The impact of Internet on freedom of expression
- The current violations to freedom of expression, and the challenges its protection is confronting, including those related to national security, religion and privacy
Course Dates and Format
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
- This is an archived course. Participants will explore this course in a self-paced fashion.
- In addition to the online classes, participants will attend discussion sessions (also called facilitated sessions) or a workshop offered by an expert in the field of freedom of expression.
The U.S. Embassy seeks candidates who are:
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
- Currently residing in Lebanon;
- Proficient in spoken and written English;
- Committed to participating in the facilitated sessions while taking the online course.
This online course and the Embassy facilitated sessions are free of charge. Residents in Lebanon from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Applicants will be considered without regard to race, religion, sex, age, and/or physical impairment.
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.
Candidates who complete the online course and attend the facilitated sessions or workshop will receive certificates from the U.S. Embassy in Beirut.
How to Apply
(Ad) How to raise funds? Where can I find a list of donors for my area of work? How to write proposals? How can I submit a grant request to USAID, the European Commission or the Gates Foundation? How can I use Social Media to promote my work? We have developed powerful resources in the form of Ebook and Articles covering all this information and more. Learn more.
Applicants can download the application form via given website.
For more information, please visit https://lb.usembassy.gov/massive-open-online-course-mooc-freedom-of-expression-in-the-age-of-globalization/