Deadline: 15 October 2019
The U.S. Embassy in Beirut is currently inviting the public to apply to an online course entitled “Freedom of Expression in the Age of Globalization”, offered by Columbia University.
Adopting a global standpoint, this course will present the international human rights norms and laws that define free speech and the global jurisprudence that has developed to safeguard it. It will explore political expression, press freedom and freedom of expression on the Internet. It will outline the legitimate restrictions to freedom of expression, and discuss its most pressing challenges and violations globally.
Taught with the support of journalists, human rights defenders and press freedom activists from around the world, this course is a formidable introduction to a complex fundamental right, at the heart of today’s many global challenges, from the Internet to national security, freedom of religion and privacy.
What will students learn?
- The principles behind the protection of freedom of expression and information
- The international standards that define and protect freedom of expression and the bodies responsible for enforcing them
- The norms and tests governing the legitimate restriction to freedom of expression
- The impact of Internet on freedom of expression
- The current violations to freedom of expression, and the challenges its protection is confronting, including those related to national security, religion and privacy
Course Dates and Format
- This is an archived course. Participants will explore this course in a self-paced fashion.
- In addition to the online classes, participants will attend discussion sessions (also called facilitated sessions) or a workshop offered by an expert in the field of freedom of expression.
The U.S. Embassy seeks candidates who are:
- Currently residing in Lebanon;
- Proficient in spoken and written English;
- Committed to participating in the facilitated sessions while taking the online course.
This online course and the Embassy facilitated sessions are free of charge. Residents in Lebanon from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Applicants will be considered without regard to race, religion, sex, age, and/or physical impairment.
Candidates who complete the online course and attend the facilitated sessions or workshop will receive certificates from the U.S. Embassy in Beirut.
How to Apply
Applicants can download the application form via given website.
For more information, please visit https://lb.usembassy.gov/massive-open-online-course-mooc-freedom-of-expression-in-the-age-of-globalization/