The May 18 Memorial Foundation is pleased to announce the call for 2021 nominations for the following prizes:
- The Gwangju Prize for Human Rights (GPHR): It carries a cash award of $ 50,000 USD.
- The Special Prize of the GPHR (SPGPHR): It carries a cash award of $ 10,000 USD.
- GPHR and SPGPHRTo promote the spirit of the May 18 Democratization Movement, in which the people of Gwangju resisted against brutal military forces for the sake of democracy and human rights in 1980, the May 18 Memorial Foundation recognizes the exemplary efforts of individuals and organizations aspiring to the restoration of justice and human rights in their respective countries through the Gwangju Prize for Human Rights Prize. Since 2000, the Foundation has been bestowing the ‘Gwangju Prize for Human Rights’ to individuals, groups, and institutions in Korea and abroad that have contributed to promoting and advancing human rights, democracy, and peace in their work.
- SPGPHR is for an individual or an organization that has contributed to the promotion of democracy and human rights through cultural activities, journalism, and academic fields.
These prizes are awarded by the citizens of Gwangju in the spirit of solidarity and gratitude to those who have helped them in their struggle for democratization and their search for truth. It is hoped that through this award, the spirit and message of May 18 will be immortalized in the hearts and minds of humankind.
A nomination for the GPHR can be submitted by any individual or organization that meets the nomination criteria. Any nomination is considered valid if it is submitted by a person or an organization that falls within one of the following categories:
- Individuals or organizations who won the May 18 Citizens Award and/or YunSang-won Award
- Laureates of Gwangju Prize for Human Rights
- Organizations in Korea or overseas working for human rights, peace, and the reunification of Korea that have been active three years or more and that the May 18 Memorial Foundation Directorate decides to request their nomination
- Any individual or organization in Korea or overseas that agrees on the purpose of the GPHR
- The candidates eligible for the GPHR are those persons or organizations nominated by a qualified individual or a qualified organization.
- A nomination of oneself-will not be taken into consideration.
Selection of the GPHR
- The May 18 Memorial Foundation is responsible for the selection of eligible candidates and the choice of the GPHR. The selection committee is composed of seven members who are designated by the May 18 Memorial Foundation’s Articles of Association.
- The rest of the procedure will abide by the Articles of Association.
Required Submission Documents:
- Nomination Form (download the attachment)
- Two ID Photos (paste them on the designated spots)
- Other materials that can substantiate activities and eligibility for the award
- Send all documents via E-mail
For more information, visit http://eng.518.org/sub.php?PID=0501&action=Read&idx=924