The Rafto Foundation has announced The Rafto Prize for the men and women to support them in their work to promote human rights. Each year, the Foundation awards a person or an organisation working for human rights and democracy. The Foundation encourages everyone with an interest or knowledge in human rights to make a nomination for the Rafto Prize.
The Rafto Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to the global promotion of human rights. The main object is, in the spirit of Professor Thorolf Rafto, to promote human rights, primarily intellectual, political and economic freedom. The Foundation shall award the annual Professor Thorolf Rafto’s Prize for Human Rights work. The work of the Rafto Foundation includes supporting the laureates’ work and human rights education.
- A candidate should be active in the struggle for the ideals and principles underlying the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
- A candidate’s struggle for human rights should represent a non-violent perspective.
- A candidate may be a person or an organization, and two or more candidates may share the prize.
Who can nominate?
- Anyone with an interest in and knowledge about human rights is welcome to nominate candidates. Candidates nominated by themselves or by their staff or by honorary officers will not be taken into consideration.
Who makes the decision?
- Nominations for the Rafto Prize are received and evaluated by the Prize Committee. Recipient(s) is selected by the Board of Directors.
When is the announcement of the Rafto Prize?
- Each year they announce the recipient of the Rafto Prize on the last Thursday in September at a press conference at the Rafto House in Bergen. The announcement is live-streamed on their website.
How do I nominate?
- Fill in the form by clicking the blue “make a nomination”-button and attach required documents on their website.
For more information, visit https://www.rafto.no/