Nature Research Awards for Inspiring Women in Science are now open for applications. It is presented for initiatives that support girls or young women to engage with, enjoy and study STEM subjects or to increase the retention of women in STEM careers.
STEM includes natural sciences, technology, engineering, mathematics and medicine. These initiatives can be run by an individual or academic, educational, charitable, governmental or corporate entity. In the case of corporate entities, the initiatives should form part of a corporate social responsibility programme and not be part of core commercial operations.
The aim of the awards, in partnership with The Estée Lauder Companies, is to celebrate and support the achievements of women in science, and of all those who work to encourage girls and young women to engage with STEM subjects and who work to support women to stay in STEM careers around the world. STEM includes natural sciences, technology, engineering, mathematics and medicine.
- Natural sciences,
- mathematics and
- The winners of the Nature Research Awards for Inspiring Women in Science, Science Outreach category will receive:
- A prize of US$40,000
- An invitation to the award ceremony in London, with accommodation and travel expenses paid by the organiser. In the event that it is not possible or advisable to hold such a ceremony, an alternative presentation or acknowledgement will be arranged.
- Coverage on nature.com
- An invitation to present their work or initiative to the scientists at The Estée Lauder Companies
- Mentoring through The Estée Lauder Companies
- The shortlisted applicants will:
- Be profiled on the Nature Research Award website
- Have access to an exclusive mentoring and networking community site
- They accept applications from organizations, departments, individuals (of any gender) or project teams.
- Please nominate one spokesperson who will be their point of contact and represent the winning entry at the award ceremony. They are looking for initiatives that have either:
- encouraged girls or young women to engage with and study natural sciences, technology, engineering, mathematics and medicine
- increased retention of women in STEM careers, with a focus on providing tools to support women through their career progression in a STEM discipline.
- Entries will have shown exceptional vision, insight and/or imagination and demonstrated that they encourage, support or promote the interest of girls and/or women in STEM.
- Applications will be assessed by our expert judging panel consisting of editors from Nature Portfolio, independent experts and experts from our corporate partner, The Estée Lauder Companies. Each award category will have a separate judging panel. Panel members will review applications to create a shortlist of applicants for each award category. The full panel will then meet to discuss the merits of shortlisted applicants and select the winner. The judging panel will make up 100% of the votes. The chief judge will make the final decision in the event of a tie.
- Applications will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Description of your initiative
- Success of your initiative
- Future plans
For more information, visit https://www.nature.com/collections/jcpghfmqlz