Deadline: 31 May 2018
Are you an imaginative, problem solving young professional, start up or student involved in surveying, urban design, architecture,or engineering? Then share your transformative ideas for projects and policies in Cities for our Future Challenge that solve some of the defining issues of the time.
The Cities for our Future Challenge is a global competition run by the Royal Institution Of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) in partnership with UNESCO UKNC and the ACU. An international judging panel will select the final winner from the shortlisted applicants in November 2018. The judges will rate your idea based on impact, excitement, scale, relevance and feasibility.
Areas of Interest
There are three core issues that must be met with innovative problem solving:
- Rapid Urbanization: The explosion in numbers of people moving from country to city means there is an ever-increasing demand on services, infrastructure, housing, and transportation systems. Solutions are needed, fast.
- Climate Change: How can cities be built or upgraded to be ecologically responsible, with a low carbon footprint, and resistant to the growing threat and frequency of extreme weather conditions caused by global warming?
- Resource Scarcity: Rapid population growth puts a huge strain on vital resources such as clean water, electricity and food. How will we power our homes, put food on the table and have access to clean water in the future?
- The winner will receive a £50,000 prize and mentoring with industry experts to bring their idea to life.
- He/She will also get the chance to build your professional profile at an international level, potentially kick start a rewarding and varied career, and work with experts within the surveying industry.
- Students in the fields of surveying, design, architecture or engineering.
- Start-ups who want to boost the prospects of their proptech, green or built environment business.
- Young professionals in the fields of surveying, design, architecture or engineering.
How to Apply
Applicants can apply via given website.
Eligible Countries: Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, American Samoa, Andorra, Angola, Anguilla, Antarctica, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bermuda, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Bouvet Island, Brazil, British Antarctic Territory, British Indian Ocean Territory, British Virgin Islands, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Canton and Enderbury Islands, Cape Verde, Cayman Islands, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, China, Christmas Island, Cocos or Keeling Islands, Colombia, Comoros, Congo – Brazzaville, Congo – Kinshasa, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Côte d’Ivoire, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Dronning Maud Land, East Germany, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Fiji, Finland, France, French Guiana, French Polynesia, French Southern Territories, French Southern and Antarctic Territories, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Gibraltar, Greece, Greenland, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guam, Guatemala, Guernsey, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Heard Island and McDonald Islands, Honduras, Hong Kong SAR China, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Isle of Man, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jersey, Johnston Island, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macau SAR China, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Marshall Islands, Martinique, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mayotte, Metropolitan France, Mexico, Micronesia, Midway Islands, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Montserrat, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar or Burma, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Netherlands, Netherlands Antilles, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Niue, Norfolk Island, North Korea, North Vietnam, Northern Mariana Islands, Norway, Oman, Pacific Islands Trust Territory, Pakistan, Palau, Palestine, Panama, Panama Canal Zone, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, People’s Democratic Republic of Yemen, Peru, Philippines, Pitcairn Islands, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Réunion, Saint Barthélemy, Saint Helena, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Serbia and Montenegro, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, São Tomé and Príncipe, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tokelau, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Turks and Caicos Islands, Tuvalu, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands, U.S. Miscellaneous Pacific Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, Uganda, Ukraine, Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Vatican City, Venezuela, Vietnam, Wake Island, Wallis and Futuna, Western Sahara, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe
For further information, please visit RICS.