The Fund for Youth Organizations (FYO) has been announced which is a three-year program designed to support youth-led organizations in the Western Balkans (WB6). It is meant to lower thresholds for young people to assume greater social responsibility.
Central for the attainment of this goal is the support for youth organizations to become central actors of civil society. Between 2020 and 2022, 22 grants will be awarded to enable at least 8 different youth organizations to implement activities that are embedded in annual work plans. A grant is meant to fund an organization’s structural costs as well as activities.
Bridging the gap between small funds (e.g. awarded by youth banks) and larger funds provided by international donors to youth organizations in the WB6, the Fund is designed to position youth organizations:
- As vehicles for young people to lead by example and to participate in decision-making processes from the local up to the national level.
- As platforms that enable the formation of social environments that attract young activists through high degrees of inclusiveness and openness and to encourage young people to be actively involved in transforming their communities.
- As institutions that foster critical thinking and civic education and hold up values of good governance and democracy among young people.
- The financial support for any individual organization will be in the range of 6.000 € to 12.000 €.
- SHL funding should cover a minimum period of 6 months.
Youth organizations are subject to the following requirements:
- Leadership must not be older than 30 years.
- Successful implementation of projects with a combined funding volume of at least 5.000 € over the last two years (2019-2020).
- Reliable and participatory structures based in statute and daily practice.
- Access for young people without regard of religious affiliation, sex, nationality, and social background.
- No affiliation with political parties or the military and neutrality in that regard.
- Official registration as civil society or non-profit organization in the respective country.
- The geographical area of support through the FYO is limited to the following countries: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Kosovo, North Macedonia, Serbia.
For more information, visit https://www.schueler-helfen-leben.de/unsere-arbeit/call-for-proposals/