The Funding opportunity is made available through the Collaborative Research Programme (CRP) – ICGEB Research Grants, which is a dedicated source of funding aimed at financing projects addressing original scientific problems of particular relevance for the host country and of regional interest.
Established in 1988, the programme aims to stimulate collaborative research in Member States and with the ICGEB Component laboratories, to promote training of young scientists and to facilitate the creation of appropriate research facilities. The programme provides support for research projects in basic science, human healthcare, industrial and agricultural biotechnology and bioenergy. A call for applications is launched yearly.
The programme was established in 1988 with the aim of:
- stimulating collaborative research between ICGEB Member States and with the ICGEB Component
- promoting the training of young scientists
- facilitating the creation of appropriate research facilities
- Grants are awarded to contribute to the implementation of outstanding scientific research projects. An important element of successful applications is the feasibility of the proposed project within the designated time-frame (maximum 36 months). The maximum annual contribution from ICGEB is Euro 25,000.
Types of Support
- Funds can only be used to cover expenditures that are directly relevant to the project. This may include purchasing consumable items, scientific literature and basic standard laboratory equipment. Travel and training costs can also be covered.
- Salaries of the Principal Investigators and infrastructural support (e.g., normal administrative and overhead expenses of the Institution, maintenance and rental of capital equipment, building, etc.) are not admissible and cannot be funded.
- Applicants for research grant proposals should hold positions at Universities or Research Institutes in any of the ICGEB Member States.
- International collaboration is an essential feature of all ICGEB grants and must be fully integrated into the project. Active collaboration with ICGEB Research Groups is welcome but not mandatory. Particular attention will be given to projects addressing issues of interest for specific geographic regions and presented by groups collaborating across more than one country.
- Investigating groups do not qualify for submission of applications:
- if previously awarded projects have not been evaluated and satisfactorily concluded;
- if the University or Research Institute of the Principal Investigator is based in Italy.
- A special category of CRP-ICGEB Early Career Return Grants is intended to fund young researchers with an outstanding track record, who have spent a minimum of 2 years abroad and have recently returned to an ICGEB Member State to establish their own independent laboratories.
- Applicants for Early Career Return Grants should be no more than 40 years of age at the time of application.
- Applicants should have returned to an ICGEB Member State (except Italy) no more than 2 years prior to submitting the application.
For more information, visit ICGEB.