The Canadian Roots Exchange (CREation) has launched the Youth Empowerment Stream – Sprout under the CREation Community Grant Program to support to youth-led projects happening in urban, rural and remote communities across Canada.
The focus of this stream is to fund new and emerging micro-projects that focus on increasing the resilience, engagement and wellness of youth. Projects must be led by 2+ Indigenous youth (ages 15-29). Grantees and youth will receive innovative mentorship, training and capacity-building opportunities throughout the project. The Youth Empowerment Stream Sprout can be used as a stepping stone to implementing a new idea or start your work with a project idea.
There is a priority in this stream to support:
- New and emerging Indigenous grassroots groups and collectives
- Projects that are testing and/or trying a new idea
- New groups who have never run a project before
- Groups who have never received funding from CREation before
Projects should focus on providing programming, training or capacity building opportunities for Indigenous youth. These examples do not include every type of project that they would fund:
- Programs for youth to participate in recreational, wellness and/or arts-based programming
- Cultural programming, including ceremonies, teaching circles and land-based activities
- Peer-led circles where youth can build relationships and participate in online activities
- Intergenerational programs, that provide youth opportunities to work with Elders, parents, families, children, etc
- Programs that increase youth leadership skills
- Professional development programs for members of a youth council/organization to increase their knowledge about organizational governance
- Projects that target making resources (such as mental health services) safer and more accessible
- All funded projects engage more youth other than just project leaders.
The Youth Empowerment Stream – Sprout will provide small grants of up to $2,500.
- CREation will only fund grassroots Indigenous youth groups consisting of a minimum of 2 youth.
Eligible groups and projects include:
- Unincorporated/grassroots youth groups/collectives/councils comprised primarily of Indigenous youth
- Emerging, incorporated youth groups (note: CRE defines “emerging” as groups that have an operating budget of less than $50,000)
- Projects must serve primarily serve Indigenous youth
Ineligible groups and projects:
- Individuals and/or projects that are not led by 2+ Indigenous youth
- Projects that are not youth-led (or where the majority of leadership is 30+)
- Non-Indigenous groups and organizations
- Groups that have received more than $10,000 in funding from CRE over the past 12 months
- Projects taking place outside of Canada
- For profit corporations
Please note: for the purpose of this program, CRE defines Indigenous as status and non-status First Nations, Inuit, and Métis peoples in Canada, living both on and off reserve.
For more information, visit CREation.
For more information, visit https://canadianroots.ca/programs/creation/