GEF is inviting Partner Agencies for the 4th time to submit proposals and investment opportunities under the GEF-7 NGI Program
The Seventh Replenishment of the GEF Trust Fund includes a Non-Grant Instrument Program (the GEF-7 “NGI Program”) which builds on the lessons learned in GEF-6 and expands the envelope of blended finance to USD 136 million. Under GEF-7, the GEF will accelerate the use of non-grant instruments in support of delivering global environmental benefits and continue to catalyze investments from capital markets at global and national levels aligned with focal area objectives.
Since 2008, the GEF and its Partner Agencies have successfully used a wide array of non-grant instruments such as debt, equity and guarantees to attract private sector investment and deliver global environmental benefits beyond business as usual.
- The maximum financing amount per project/program is USD 15 million.
- In exceptional cases innovative proposals with the potential to demonstrate impact at scale may request funding exceeding USD 15 million.
- The maximum maturity of the financing is 20 years but in equity investments, there may be flexibility on the exit date.
Proposals must meet the following criteria to be eligible for the NGI Program financing:
- Geography: project beneficiaries must be in eligible GEF recipient countries;
- GEF Partner Agency eligibility requirements: the GEF will accept proposals submitted by Partner Agencies that are eligible to administer concessional finance as described in the Guidelines of Project and Cycle Policy. Partner Agencies will submit information regarding their compliance with these requirements. The Partner Agencies will also be required to comply with the reflows procedures established in their respective Financial Procedures Agreement with the GEF Trustee.
- Modalities: middle-sized projects, full-sized projects and programs;
- Non-grant instruments: include but are not limited to:
- risk mitigation products or
- equity instruments disclosed in Policy – Non-Grant Instruments, FI/PL/02, October 10, 2014;
- Alignment with GEF-7 programming directions
For more information, visit https://www.thegef.org/documents/fourth-call-proposals-gef-7-non-grant-instrument-program