The second competition for strategic projects is organized with\ the Active Citizens Fund Bulgaria under the Financial Mechanism of the European Economic Area space (EEA) 2014 – 2021. The general objectives of the EEA Financial Mechanism 2014 – 2021 are contributing to the reduction of economic and social disparities in Europe economic space and strengthening bilateral relations between countries donors – Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway and the beneficiary countries, one of which is Bulgaria.
The Active Citizens Fund is part of the Civil Society Program Area, which aims to “Strengthened civil society, active citizens and empowered vulnerable groups”. The operator of the Active Citizens Fund Bulgaria (the Fund) is the Open Institute Institute Foundation Society – Sofia “(OSI-Sofia) in partnership with the Foundation” Civil Workshop Initiatives” (WCIF) and the Trust for Social Alternative Foundation (TSA).
The competition aims to support long-term projects of civil society organizations, offering strategic solutions in favor of the sustainability and capacity of the civilian sector in Bulgaria, strengthening its role in promoting democratic participation, active citizenship and human rights.
- the provision of social services;
- basic services to which there must be guaranteed access for all, such as for example, but not limited to, access to water and sanitation, electricity, transport, finance and banking services, digital communications, etc;
- the provision of other services with mandatory participation (eg pre-school and school education) for which at European and national level policies exist or are being developed, including in relation to the European Accessibility Act.
- Improving democratic culture and civic awareness.
- Support for human rights.
- Empowerment of vulnerable groups.
- Increasing the contribution of civil society organizations to gender equality and prevention of gender-based violence.
- Increasing the commitment of citizens to environmental protection and climate change.
- Improving the capacity and sustainability of the civil sector, including civil society organizations.
- The total indicative budget available for grants for strategic projects under the competition is 4,771,280 euros.
Projects can have two types of target groups:
- End-users – individuals or groups of people who are expected to receive tangibles benefits resulting from an action.
- Direct target groups (intermediaries) – groups (professionals or organizations), on which the project seeks to have an impact in order to achieve results for the final project users.
- Eligible direct target groups (intermediaries) for projects under all thematic priorities are:
- Small and medium enterprises (with staff between 10-249 people)
- Large enterprises;
- Museums and other organizations presenting visual art;
- Teachers and lecturers (all levels);
- Education staff (excluding teachers);
- University institutions;
- Medical staff;
- Border police officers;
- Prisons / probation services;
- Migration services;
- Roma mediators;
- Politicians (national and local);
- Public institutions (at national and local level);
- Civic organizations;
- Employers’ organizations;
- Labor inspections;
- Eligible end users of the project results are:
- Children and youth (0-17 years);
- Young people (18-29 years);
- Older people (65+ years);
- Small and medium enterprises (staff between 10-249 people);
- Pupils and students (of all ages);
- Persons between the ages of 15 and 24 who do not work, study or have an internship or training;
- People with disabilities (excluding mental);
- People with intellectual disabilities;
- People with infectious diseases;
- People suffering from addiction (alcohol, drugs);
- Juvenile delinquents;
- Persons deprived of their liberty;
- Victims of hate crimes / hate speech;
- Victims of domestic violence / gender-based violence;
- Victims of human trafficking;
- Refugees, migrants seeking asylum;
- Unaccompanied children seeking asylum;
- Other minorities;
- Civic organizations;
- People at risk of poverty;
- The general public.
- Eligible candidates:
- Eligible candidates for the second competition for strategic projects are civil organizations / non-governmental organizations registered in Bulgaria as legal entities with a non-profit purpose (NPO) under the Law on Non-Profit Legal Entities, designated for public benefit activities (including community centers, registered under the Non-Profit Legal Entities Act and the Bulgarian Red Cross).
- Eligible applicants must also meet the following requirements:
- not be associations of economic entities or organizations established on professional principle, the aims and activities of which are aimed at the protection of the specific interests of their members, founders or members of bodies;
- not be dependent on local, regional or central authorities and from other state and public bodies and institutions;
- not to be dependent on political parties and traders within the meaning of the Commercial law;
- to respect the principles of democracy and respect for human rights.
For more information, visit https://www.activecitizensfund.bg/public/portfolios/newsItem.cfm?id=149