African Economic Research Consortium (AERC) is inviting Research Proposals on Climate Change and Economic Development in Africa – country case studies which seek to deepen understanding of environmental challenges and climate change mitigation and adaptation measures by paying greater attention to nuances in specific countries in Africa.
The AERC collaborative research programs address topical policy relevant issues and bring together seasoned researchers from both Africa and elsewhere to generate policy-oriented research.
Collaboration enables researchers to tackle complex yet contemporary research issues with a bearing on policy making in Africa that otherwise could not be adequately addressed by one or a few researchers and leverages the diverse skills of the various researchers in the project to deliver high quality research outputs.
The objective of this phase of the project is twofold, namely:
- generate high quality, context specific and policy relevant knowledge base on climate change in Africa for informed policy making, by analysing countries in much detail and;
- enhance communication, outreach and policy engagement with stakeholders in African countries.
The country case studies will focus on, but not limited to, the following themes:
- Climate change and sustainable development;
- Climate-smart agriculture and how it can be scaled up;
- Natural resources, energy options and technologies;
- Impact of climate change on green and blue economies and the policy responses;
- Innovation and environmentally friendly technologies;
- Country/regional experiences on mitigation measures;
- Climate change financing;
- Climate change and Monetary Policy;
- Policy responses to climate change/mainstreaming of climate change strategies into national, sub-national and sectoral planning processes;
- Cliometrics of climate change;
- Climate change and demography/migration.
- Estimated expenditure by major line items, e.g., research assistance; travel; computer time; secretarial support; honorarium etc. Total budget should not exceed US$15,000.
- Total duration of the study should not exceed 12 months.
Researchers meeting the criteria highlighted below are encouraged to submit a proposal to undertake a country case study. However, the lead investigator must demonstrate, in their CV, that they have:
- a strong publication record, especially in the project theme; and
- completed at least one AERC research project (either thematic or collaborative project); and/or
- participated in or finalised a research project on a relevant topic not necessarily funded by AERC.
For more information, visit https://aercafrica.org/expressions-of-interest/aerc-collaborative-research-on-climate-change-and-economic-development-in-africa-%E2%88%92-country-case-studies/