The European Union, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark (Danida), the African Development Bank (AfDB) and Kenya Climate Innovation Center (KCIC) launched the AgriBiz Programme to stimulate the growth of women and youth-owned enterprises in the agribusiness sector.
- Women and Youth led businesses:
- Women Entrepreneur(s) (of any age) in Agribusiness and Women led Agribusinesses (minimum shareholding of 51%).
- Youth Entrepreneur(s) (aged between 18-35 years) in Agribusiness and youth led Agribusinesses (minimum shareholding of 51%).
- Categories of applicants:
- Individuals: – Any woman or youth, involved in a commercially viable agribusiness
- Community based organization (CBO) or self-help group (SHG): Must comprise of community members who are registered under a Self-Help Group (SHG) or a Community Based Organization (CBO) carrying out commercially viable business activities within the agricultural value chain. Majority of the members (above 80%) must be either women or youth (aged between 18-35 years) with the main leadership positions being held by either women or youth.
- SMEs_: Small and Medium Enterprises established with commercially viable business ideas within the agricultural value chain. The business should be operational and generating revenues with an employee base of at least 5 people.
- Nationality and Location:
- The applicant must be a Kenyan citizen
- The Agribusiness must be located within the 47 counties of Kenya.
- Agribusiness and agribusiness ideas:
- Applicants must be engaged in legal business
- All Agribusinesses must be Agribusiness Ideas, or an early/growth stage, with no specific year range.
- Applicants must demonstrate that their Agribusiness is set up, or in the case of an Agribusiness Idea will be set up and based in Kenya.
- Applicants are solely responsible for the structure of the Agribusiness and the team members within it.
- Agricultural, fisheries and livestock value chain actors engaged along the value chain are encouraged to apply. This includes but is not limited to input providers, processors, producers, transporters, marketers and aggregators etc.