The Anglo American, through the Anglo American Foundation, is inviting suitably qualified nonprofit organisations (NPOs) or academic institutions to submit proposals that support a nature positive future.
Anglo American is taking a leadership role in delivering a Nature Positive future in line with the Global Goal for Nature.
Achieving positive impact, demonstrating and sharing outcomes in the wider landscapes, seascapes, countries and regions in which they operate, are fundamental to the way of working.
Focus on at least three of the following ten core Nature Positive activities:
- conservation of priority of species (vertebrates and/or plants) which are listed as Data Deficient (DD), Critically Endangered (CR), Endangered (EN); or Vulnerable (VU) in terms of the IUCN Red List (Global status is preferred but not essential),
- conservation of priority habitats,
- restoration of priority habitat,
- priority species recovery,
- improvement of ecosystem services,
- sustainable livelihood programmes,
- collaboration and support to institutions and conservation authorities,
- contribute to national and/or regional conservation plans and targets,
- contribute to scientific knowledge, and/or
- build local in-country capacity and resources.
- Anglo American expects to award grants from a total budget of US$500 000. T
- he ideal project should commence in the last quarter of 2021, requiring a grant of between US$50 000 and US$250 000 to achieve demonstrable outcomes within a defined time period.
The Foundation does not fund
Anglo American does not fund projects that are:
- Capital in nature, i.e. building infrastructure. Where project vehicles are required, this should be well motivated.
- From for-profit organisations.
- Of a political or religious nature. (NB developmental initiatives by faith-based organisations would be eligible, as long as the benefits of this work are not exclusive to people of a particular faith or denomination).
- Purely for academic research and do not have clear conservation outcomes. Attending workshops or conferences will also not be considered.
- Sponsorships for events and/or functions.
- Direct donations or grants to individuals.
- Student fees.
- Through this grant, Anglo American is looking to support projects that:
- Additionally, to be eligible for consideration, organisations must:
- Have a solid track record of delivering similar projects and can clearly demonstrate past successes.
- Have a regional presence in Southern Africa.
- Have been in existence for a period of at least three years.
- Be legally registered not-for-profit entities in the country of operation and/or implementation.
- Have proven capacity to monitor and report on the effective project implementation.
For more information, visit https://www.cognitoforms.com/TshikululuSocialInvestments/angloamericannaturepositivegrant2021