The Kawamura Arts and Cultural Foundation is inviting applications to support Socially Engaged Art projects that will take place in Japan and commit to the community and society; implement activities together with communities and residents; and aim to build and demonstrate models of a better society.
This would further enhance in-depth relationships between art culture and the society and will contribute in cultivating higher cultural developments in Japan.
At this age of globalism, Japanese artists are actively working in broad areas both domestic and abroad, and increasing numbers of grants and awards that support such artists’ activities have developed over the recent years. In such condition within the international art field, Socially Engaged Art, which aims to realize a better society through direct artist involvements with communities and societies, are attracting increasing attention among their approaches towards various controversies such as environmental issues, economic discrepancies, immigrant issues and more others.
In Japan however, Socially Engaged Art is not yet well renowned, and no particular system could be found up until this point that support such activities. Taking into account of such condition, Kawamura Arts and Cultural Foundation will start a new grant system in which would be the first case to support Socially Engaged Art in Japan.
They hope this grant system would contribute in attaining a broader understanding of Socially Engaged Art along with its social meanings and possibilities, and intensify the activities and practices of artists who aim to realize a further better society towards the future. They look forward to receiving your ambitious and innovative project applications.
- Grant amount and number of grantees:
- JPY 1,000,000 to 2,000,000: 1 grantee
- JPY 300,000 to 500,000: approximately 2 to 10 grantees
- Grant Period: From April 1st 2024 through March 31st 2025
- Grant amount will be based on project proposals. Grant amount may be reduced on occasions of changes occurring from the project proposal.
- Applications made by individuals and organizations fulfilling below would be acknowledged legitimate:
- All age ranges, all nationalities
- Artists and Art organizations
Requirements (Project Content)
- Applications need to fulfill requirements to be acknowledged legitimate:
- Projects applying strikingly new methods or ways of expression
- Socially Engaged Art projects that would be newly implemented in Japan
- Projects that would become a catalyst towards social changes
- Projects aiming to build and demonstrate models of a better society
- Projects with artists taking initiatives as its leader
- Dialogue based projects which focus on building continuous partner relationships with communities
- Projects which include a collaborative production process with participants
- Projects that would be rejected:
- Projects based on production for an exhibition, a theatrical act, or an exhibition piece
- Projects with outcomes unrelated to local communities
- Projects that have been already shown in exhibitions (or would be shown)
- Projects based on artist-in-residence/studios (would be accepted in case the project fulfills everything
For more information, visit Kawamura Arts and Cultural Foundation.