The National Commission for Science and Technology (NCST) was established by the Government of Malawi has announced a call for grant proposals Under the Small Grant Scheme to promote, support, co-ordinate and regulate the development and application of research, science, technology and innovation so as to create wealth in order to improve the quality of life.
These programmes and schemes are derived from its legal functions as stipulated in the said Act. One such scheme is the Small Grant Scheme which seeks to provide support either in part or in full in order to promote capacity building and information sharing endeavours related to research, science, technology and innovation for wealth creation.
The grant scheme provides funding support in the following areas:
- Dissertation Grant: aims to support research undertaken as part of an academic programme to qualify for a Master’s or a Doctorate Degree, provided that the topic of research is addressing any of the identified national research priorities as issued by NCST. The grant is primarily to support research. Funds will not be used to support course work.
- Travel Grant: aims to support applicants with travel grants to facilitate their participation in conferences/workshops/seminars, short courses, study tours and exchange visits within or outside Malawi so as to facilitate information sharing and capacity building. The support could cover travel costs including the cost of visas, registration and other applicable costs.
- Research Dissemination Grant: aims at supporting the organising of a research dissemination conference. The support shall be towards meeting the cost of conference advertisement, venue, refreshments/lunches, review of abstracts, and production of books of abstracts and conference proceedings.
- General Event Grant: aims at supporting institutions to organise events/activities related to other areas of research, science, technology and innovation, provided that such events are not of the same nature as the research dissemination conference.
- Production of Journals Grant: This grant aims at supporting the production of journals.
- ICT Equipment Grant: This grant supports towards the cost of the ICT equipment where a research related institution has indicated the need for such equipment assistance and upon establishment of NCST that an institution would function effectively with such an equipment.
- Technology Transfer and Commercialisation Grant: This grant supports the technology transfer and commercialisation efforts. It is provided to institutions or individuals that have developed technologies and would like to be facilitated for popularisation, transfer, replication and spinoffs.
- The grant offered through this scheme shall not exceed the value of MK3, 000,000.00. Therefore, the budget limit for project activities in each project proposal shall not be more than this amount.
The following is the eligibility criterion:
- Individual Malawi citizens, permanent residents and institutions registered and operating in Malawi.
- Applicant who is undertaking an endeavour related to capacity building and information sharing in research, science, technology and innovation in Malawi.
- Only individuals are eligible for dissertation and travel grants and institutions are eligible for the grants defined in the official website.
- Individuals are not eligible for these grants. While both individuals and institutions are eligible for the grant as mentioned in call.
- Only single applications are eligible at a time.
For more information, visit https://www.ncst.mw/?p=3754